Friday, February 1, 2019

Nose to Grindstone, Fingers Crossed


Marketing gear-up on four fronts, an update:

One: I am taking a page from the cultist style of Fight Club to promote my 0530 spin class at the Club. Once upon a time we used to draw 20 folks on a regular (and committed) basis. That number, for any number of hazy and speculative reasons, is down considerably. It could very well be that I have lost whatever charm and leadership ability I once had, leaving nothing more than my ‘alternative’ musical tastes and a rigid definition of high-intensity interval training. I continue to give everything I have in class, but maybe it is time for more Lady Gaga and less Phish, more dumbbell curls and fewer hill repeats. The poster campaign will feature me as Brad Pitt as Tyler Derden, a beautiful $2.00 Red Delicious with Spin Club stenciled to it replacing the soap and a friend doing the Ed Norton supporting role. We have secured the talents of MG to shoot with the obligatory brick background. I will post the best of the takes sometime over the weekend. I wish I still had a copy of PhotoShop.

Two: Spent way too much time yesterday sourcing Craigs List for vehicles suitable for the 2019 Epic Ride SAG. A pair made the cut, a 2003 Chevy Astro AWD, fully loaded and geared-up, and a 2003 Scion, claiming 35 highway MPG. The latter is a bargain and local, the former is a better fit for the assignment but would all but break the bank. More consideration today and maybe even a test drive.

Three: I have out-sourced the jersey design for the 2019 Epic Ride to three designer/artists. One in Sri Lanka via Fiver.com whose first try was horrible, an old friend with whom I have worked with in the past and a terrific artist who is out of our budgetary league, the guy does great work with similarly greater than average fees. A dear architect friend has also allowed use of one of his famous Christmas cards (he is an artist as well) for our use. Example at right.

Four: I am all but committed to using the 2019 Epic as a test run for future trips. In the 23 years since my last coastal trek, as you can imagine, there has been chaos, carnage and change. And I am talking just about the roads. My intel trip two weeks ago to legs three and four, confirmed that what was once a relatively peaceful and serene route, is now just like everywhere else, crowded, loud and impersonal. And that was in January! What will it be like in August?

So here we are, the first day of February, 2019, six months away from the 2019 Epic ride. Any success at all on the four marketing fronts updated above should provide some movement in the right direction (onwards and upwards).

Nose to grindstone and fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment