Monday, February 11, 2019

Constant refinement and continuous commitment



It started innocently enough, with a question. 

After another night of anxious rest, wondering if the power would stay on and then whether or not my morning  spin class would take place, I was alerted at 0615 that the power had been restored to the cabin. OK, cool, I responded and immediately took the necessary precautions to go and take a look, getting in a dog walk as part of the process. Another beautiful morning and we are trudging through virgin snow slowly moving towards the cabin about a mile away. The only sounds are the crunching of snow and ice underfoot. At the cabin I begin a damage report, noting that not much has changed with the exception that the freezer seems to have died and taken all remaining perishables with it. I wonder if there is a heaven or hell afterlife for durable goods. I grab a quick look at the internet to get an update on road conditions, closures and reports of downed trees, pack another pair of clean socks and underwear into my backpack, give Tito a treat and reverse the walk. 

Now it is time for a decision. I can hike the 4 miles to the club as I have done many times in the past or trust my gut feeling on the drivability of the roads, and take a chance. I decide to test the roads on the hill. Cake. The Subaru symmetrical AWD responds as engineered and I spin her around, back down the hill and into the garage. I now have time for one cup of coffee and then out again. 

Checking with the clubs wifi I see we are open, the fire in the lobby is blazing and parking lots are being plowed. COME ON IN! 

I am rolling through the rolodex of spin drills permanently filed in my head when another matter pops up like English muffins from the toaster; that I am driving in treacherous conditions, in the snow and ice, up and down hills along with others who are perhaps not as prepared or experienced as myself. Let’s focus on the now shall we grasshopper? 

I pass a Hummer high centered on a hill near the golf course and stop to inquire. Thoroughly embarrassed the driver says everything is OK, the only damage apparently being to his ego. At the club everyone seems jovial and I volunteer to assist with the snow shoveling once my class is finished. Yikes, I think looking at the clock, class starts in ten minutes! I change into workout gear and head down the hallway wondering how many valiant souls will brave the elements to get in an hour of cardio, and I still have no idea as to the protocol we will preform. 

One of the gals up front immediately asks me about the 2019 Epic Ride logistics so I assume from her inquiry that fate has magically intervened to provide an appropriate segue into the morning’s theme. And off we go.

We get to the halfway point in a pleasantly challenging session of hill repeats, and I am still providing a rolling commentary (in the form of an infomercial), when an image commandeers my monologue with enough sizzle to provoke the spontaneous announcement that the number one reason why we do this, indoor cycle training, is to do that, outdoor adventure cycling. Or one of the main reasons, as there are many. Because to me, I move towards the crescendo with mercatissimo precision and emphasis, there is nothing more free than being on a bike moving in harmonic flow towards your destination. It is, I answer her question, my personal definition of freedom.

In need on constant refinement and continuous commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment