Sunday, February 17, 2019

How Could I Not?


I culled a wonderful line from today’s PowerBarn Movie ride, an event we do every Sunday in winter when, by all civil standards, it is too cold to ride outside. Today we watched a couple of masters ply their trades. Denzel Washington needs no intro put perhaps since Antoine Fuqua probably isn’t a household name among cyclists, I should do a quick introduction. He has magnificently directed many of my personal faves including Training Day, Tears of the Sun, Brooklyn’s Finest and today's flick Equalizer 2. I highly recommend that, if you haven’t already, check out some of his work and appreciate his talent, especially as it comes to staging a scene. 

A minor character, who has a big, but somewhat overly sentimental payoff, is a Holocaust survivor, of maybe close to 100 years of age. Art in general plays an important metaphysical role in the film and he once painted a portrait of his sister before they were captured and separated into concentration camps in 1940. Denzel is moonlighting as a Lyft driver and our hero painter/survivor is one of his regular customers. They meet in a park near in Boston and one visit the gentlemen says to Mac, Denzel’s character, that he has just set a personal best for the day. Denzel in his warm way asks oh yeah, in what? 

Today, he responds, much like Rodney Dangerfield delivering the punch line, I set a personal best for consecutive days alive. 

Big grins. 

So I am stealing the line, unabashed and fully prepared to face whatever plagiarism penalties are applicable, for my class tomorrow. 

How could I not? 

No comments:

Post a Comment