Saturday, February 9, 2019

Too Late

"Fate would not have the reputation it has if it simply did what it seemed it would do".

This show-stopping insight (page 80 of Amor Towles masterful A Gentleman in Moscow), has been swirling around my brain for two days now. I have already put it on the mantle alongside Cormac McCarthy's classic:

 "One will never know what worse luck his bad luck has kept him from".

I was considering the deeply packed minutia of these two as I cautiously navigated the slick road separating my morning points A and B. It snowed a ton last night, more than I can ever recall here on our little island, a rock I have called home since 1979. I have seen a lot of snow, but what I woke to early this morning was Snow, with a capitol S.

Having promised one of my clients that I would visit, feed, administer medication and walk their dog (as well as checking on their house) at this days first light (0700), I took up the offer of the client for whom I am performing similar duties, and took off in their nice Subaru synchro AWD. Once I got to the top of the hill, the bottom of which we live, it was clear sailing. Not without moments of concern, but passable.

After tending to Spike, on our short walk he looked at me with sad eyes that seemed to ask what exactly the purpose of a foot of snow actually is, I had a cup of coffee, tidied up a bit, locked the doors and returned in the same tracks I had blazed an hour prior. Only in this direction there was now the added hazard of traffic. I followed a slow moving vehicle at a overly-safe distance only to find out after their turn that the vehicle in front of them was local police. Nice example, well done.

Once back I decided for whatever test of fate, that I would ditch the Subaru and take my truck the last mile on the dirt road to my place. I get halfway when a downed maple tree, burdened by the weight of the snow, menacingly lies blocking the road. I carefully back up on the singletrack, vision impaired by icy windshields, looking for a suitable driveway to complete my 180 degree escape. I am using brake and gas pedals as if they are made of eggshells. I make it back and park in front of the garage. Immediately I think about fate and bad luck. What are the words of a pair of the world's greatest writers trying to tell me?

Do not block the garage because the Subaru is inside?

Too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment