Thursday, February 28, 2019

Time Will Tell



Yesterday was a wash. As I am confident you noticed, and I apologize for the interruption, there was no posting, meaning the 2019 streak snapped like a dry twig at 58. The streak (one post every day again this year) is dead, long live the streak. 

Here we go. Taking a page from the ‘Reasons Why it is Good to Break NY Resolutions’ thread (Imperfections, Accomplishments, Reminders and Fresh Starts), we trust that there has been sufficient growth, progress and insight during our one day absence to make the reset of high value. A lofty goal indeed but one we strive daily to achieve.

At oh-dark-thirty, in sub-freezing bleakness, the day offered the kind of hope more tolerated than anticipated. Spin class was good, as always, once the juices warmed to operating temps and the volume cranked. But almost immediately after our high-intensity hour-long set, I started wondering if the flu bug that my neighbor mentioned had made a pit stop here as well as there. My usual medicinal response is to eat 2,500 units of vitamin C and drink enough water to dampen even the most saturated spirits. Worse, and this has been a nasty reoccurring symptom, I experience what I call ‘dropouts’ split-second losses of spatio-temporal awareness. It is like editing video and losing a frame or two to complete black. Once it hit so hard I had to go upstairs and lay down. 

After the calming effects of a nap, I was back at my desk glued to the screen watching Michael Cohen’s testimony to the House Oversight Committee. During the breaks I tried to author a post but all that it was producing read more like Greek than my native language. Still, I forced myself to endure the drama and trauma of the political theatre. I can make a succulent, succinct, one sentence summation of the hearing: The entire Trump family should be locked up. 

I feel better already after delivering that sentence. I wish I was a judge or Robert Mueller. 

After the eight hours of testimony (all along I kept seeing the Corleone instead of Cohen, Michael) it was off to the PowerBarn for the second set of the day. Which, again as is the normal and desired effect, I felt great during and awful after. With my limited medical training all I can offer as a diagnosis is that it must have something to do with blood and oxygen flow. Or lack thereof. 

Once I got home it was back to the analysis of the testimony by the talented crew at MSNBC, Rachael, Ari and Lawrence. Not surprisingly, they all pretty much agreed with my sentencing recommendation. By the time I again headed upstairs, this time for serious sleep, I had a sore throat and even more dizziness. 

In the vividness of my dream, merely a variant of the general theme, I am walking around my old cabin and property, appalled and deeply saddened by the new owners disrespect for land use, the character of the forested location and any attempt whatsoever at harmonious structural feng shui. This is a reoccurring nightmare brilliantly showing my mistakes to me in dreaming REM color. I think it has subliminal connotation, probably sexual. 

Feeling remorse for losing a creative opportunity by the political and medical distractions, I pledged to make up for lost time today. I feel much better on both fronts as a result. 

One of the designs I mocked up to submit to the design illustrator in India for the 2019 Olympic Peninsula Cycling Tour is at right. While I like it, I am placing a $63 bet that he can do better.

And as is the case of the Trump family sentencing, the new logo design and the quality and vitality of my health and fitness…

Time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment