Saturday, October 13, 2018

Indulge Me

Not a Husky and duck,
but dog and waterfoul ntl

This is complete, 100% indulgence. 

Should you not be ‘in the mood’ for such self serving sentences, feel free to wander elsewhere. I do this today for two reasons, one is that in less than an hour ‘my’ college football team plays against its bitter rivals and I am nervous as all get out, and two, someone asked me this morning how the screenplay was coming along and, caught off-guard, all I could mutter was a weak and pathetic, ‘slow’. 

I am not going to provide you with the century long history of football involving the Universities of Washington and Oregon. The emotional importance of this intense rivalry runs deeper than the Columbia River that separates the two. Suffice it to say that this day, an hour from now, the most important event in both Eugene and Seattle, and all points between, will take place at Autzen Stadium. 

And with apologies to those in the Florida panhandle, at the White House, on the campaign trail in Texas, North Dakota and Ohio, as well as those simply working another Saturday to keep the rent paid, this is a big game. Remember the indulgence? 

I know it is frivolous, I know it is a diversion, and I fully realize it is a major league distraction, but it is something that I follow, enjoy and appreciate. Could be worse right? 

I got to tell the story of how I stumbled into this circumstance to my dear friend last week as we watched the Seattle Mariners play their final game of the year. She was unaware of the improbably paradoxical ‘deal’ I made with the love of my life thirty years ago. Trying my absolute best not to verbally dominate our post game conversation, I asked her, at an appropriate juncture in our catch-up chat, if she knew the story. The story of how I went from being a sporting jack-of-all-trades to the idiot savant of following just one team.

Have I told that story here before????? 

I will not bore you with it here today (because I gotta get the streaming set up and dialed in) but promise that very soon I will. 

Because it contains so many different issues that we often lump together and stuff in the brown paper sack labeled ‘complex’. It has drama, love, change, humor, hope, the potential for disaster, and of course, the opportunity for everlasting bliss. 

If you have been following this day-by-day recapitulation, a journey we started on January 1, with the goal of a post everyday for the entire year, you will be forgiven if you immediately noticed the ‘potential for disaster’ option from the above menu. 

Or, indulgently, the ‘opportunity for everlasting bliss’ option. 

Go Dawgs!

No comments:

Post a Comment