Monday, October 22, 2018

I Like Mondays


We have a new mantra, one that keeps popping up with alarming regularity. I would like to claim that I coined it but in truth all I did was steal it. 

TGIM.

Righty-O, Thank Goodness It’s Monday. 

Most folks, through gas lighting or social conditioning, usually call Friday the TG day, but I have always considered the start to be the best part of any road. The fist few dramatic steps in the direction of the dream. Or simply the goal du jour. Remember that we suggested a short while back that one doesn’t need to do anything other than develop good habits. And what, I ask you, could be a better habit than starting the week off on a good note? 

The first step in the direction of your goal is the crucial one. Without it we stay stuck in the sometimes overwhelming muck of life’s wicked humor. We get bogged down by the largess and the scope. There is always too much to do, with not enough time, or an adequate amount of inspiration or resources available. 

1) Know your goal. What is it that will define you long after your departure? A work of art, your capolovoro? I mentioned to Junior this morning as we lifted (we were on the subject of music) that when Van Morrison wrote and recorded Gloria in 1964, he was 18. THAT opened an eye. I also mentioned to him that another teen I work with, when I asked him what he wanted to do upon reaching adult status, answered that he wanted to be a rocket scientist. Very Cool, I replied, what are you doing at home tonight? Watching TV. Oh, then you really don’t want to be a rocket scientist then. I do. OK, know this, when someone really wants something they work towards it with passion. I do. Rocket scientist build rockets at home instead of watching TV. Oh. 

2) Take the first step. This is an easy one. AND KEEP GOING. Relentlessly, no matter what, move towards your goal despite the myriad roadblocks that the cosmic trickster will attempt to distract you with. It is all a test. We get these to ensure that we are ready for the next, bigger, harder, more dramatic and more important one. That is the way that we grow, adapt and succeed. It becomes the song of the strong. 

It is a wild ride. Every day. This morning, we launched a new concept to the Monday group. I call this one RPS, Rate of Perceived Success. The goal being to tune into your body and it’s creation of energy, as measured by power production at or around the 80% (of max) level. Today we did that on the fives, four minutes alternating between sitting and standing (at the grove zone ratio of resistance and cadence) and then a one minute push of up tempo-power. For sixty minutes. Upon completion of this testy little number, a legit tchotchkes of a drill, I asked for the results as measured by the uber subjective RPS. 

I know that mine was off-the-charts high.

But then again I like Mondays.



No comments:

Post a Comment