Sunday, September 29, 2019

And No Ifs


I could get a lot done today if …………………

If it was warmer and I didn’t have to wear my flight jacket inside.
If I didn’t have to gas up my rig and do laundry. 
If the dogs could walk and feed themselves. 
If I hadn’t committed TEN YEARS ago to writing a blog entry every freaking day.
If I didn’t have these deadlines and obligations.
If my rent wasn’t due tomorrow.
If my stomach was flatter. 
If my refrigerator was full of local produce. 
If trump was in jail.
If Garcia was releasing a new vinyl lp this week. 
If the Huskies hadn’t layed an egg against Cal.
If my screenplay was a page away from completion.
If the video was done.
If my heart rate was regular.
If she would call. 
If I was planning a trip to Sicily.
If I had a massage scheduled later today.
If my Samurai sword would arrive today.
If my spin classes were standing room only like the old days.
If I was still employed.
If my Italian was un po ‘meglio. 
If the world was a perfect place and I didn’t have to be general manager of operations. 

I will get a lot done today, for the simple fact that there is a lot to be done. The litany of excuses itemized above are present moment vampires cunningly disguised as urgent matters needing immediate attention. I have one objective today and one tactic for its achievement: Place relaxed and focused attention on what must be done. 

Then do it. No ands, buts and especially............ no ifs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment