Wednesday, September 18, 2019

A Milestone



Yesterday was a milestone. I am pleased with the effort that has pushed me to this point. The process, with consistency, resiliency and persistence, has produced the first completed outline of my story. This will act as a template to structure the screenplay to industry standards. It is a step the importance of which cannot be overestimated. I will provide one example to illustrate the value of this process. Upon what I felt at the time (approximately 1634 yesterday) to be the completion of the treatment outline, I took a celebratory break. My break was a walk on the beach. I don’t need to go into much detail about restorative strolls on wild shores but perhaps the resulting effect is something that might warrant consideration and analysis. I walk in critical analysis of my work, playing it out in my head to guarantee that the accuracy, characterization and plot development are in their proper and chronological locations. This happens here, then this, this and then that. I am considering the narrative arc of the story and how my protagonists play off each other offering, like a good opponent always will, the opportunity for challenge and growth. The bigger the challenge the bigger the reward. A gull overhead reminds me to keep it simple. 'Follow the story faithfully' and then allow the audience to eventually decide which of the two has reached the higher moral ground. A chevron of Canada Geese lay on their horns demanding additional lift and cleaner thermals, 'lead, follow or get out of the way' I interrupt the quasi-harmonic honking to say. There is a river otter about twenty yards off-shore diving for food, rising and enjoying whatever sea morsel he holds as if it were gold. He looks my way with insouciance and wonder, completely blissed out in the present moment but still managing to convey that 'one can lose a battle and still win the war'. I stop and listen to the wind, the light rain and small waves from a recently passed pleasure craft. I forgot something. I left out an important part. There needs to be more detail in the transition from the point A of then and the point B of there. What caused this to happen? Who is responsible? How does it affect the next series of events. What emotional change takes place as a result? 

How could I have left this important point out? Fool. 

I turn on a dime (one tenth of a sand dollar) and head for home determined to add the spit-shine and polish to my story. Thank you all for your time and inspiration I sing to my creative partners in the field, I think we got it. As I do I hear the gull agree and the geese concur. The wind blows and the rain falls. 

But the otter is gone. 

2 comments: