Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Leave A Small Space


Leave a small space. 

We were discussing the myriad combinations of flow. More specifically the primary ingredients, that when combined in proper ratios create a state of graceful, aware and harmonious movement through time and space, a result also known as flow. Without too much effort one can quickly recognize the fact it, this flow thing, can have a dramatic effect on both the present and the future. Flow, for our usage here, does not exist in the past. It is a current commodity, you either have it or you should have it. It makes no difference whether you had a monopoly on it yesterday, the market cornered on it last week or stockpiles of it housed in off-shore accounts last year. Flow is always, like mindfulness, right here and right now. 

I am thinking of this condition, seeking new ways to verbally illustrate its power and potential in spin class, as my mobile device tells me that a new communication has arrived. It is like waking up from an erotic dream by an angry and vindictive alarm clock. I quickly regain my emotional stasis, a skill that I seem to be improving, grab the Samsung and enter the five digit security code I have been advised to use and see a text from one of my dear friends. I am no longer irritated by the interruption of my mid-afternoon flow state. 

Seems she is having some boy issues. As in how to entertain, inspire, motivate and/or keep her fourth-grade nephew occupied after school. It seems (get ready for this bombshell) that all he wants to do is ‘sit in front of his computer.’ Have you ever seen or heard such nonsense? Right, me either. 

We share stories, after all I am doing similar with my nephew with the exception that he is a sophomore, but otherwise the symptoms, solutions and strategies are the same. The internet, its peripherals, games, access to information and options for mindless entertainment, is tough to compete with. We mention programs that the park district offers, the opportunities at our wonderful new access for artists, sports, music, martial arts, all the usual suspects of positive chaperoning. 

After an hour and several cups of tea, it is apparent that our reservoirs of creative thought have run dry. Nothing flows from that well intentioned well spring any longer. 

And I blurt, whoa how about this? 

How about we both put together a list of twenty things to do with your pal when your pal is bored? 

Turns out her daughter, currently on another trip to another exotic location, once did that very thing. Excitedly I ask how it worked. She laughed and said not too well as the items on the list included such lofty activities as learning to play the tuba, mastering conversational French and building a human-powered tandem helicopter. 

KISS I immediately reply after drying my eyes from tears of laughter, keep it simple sister. 

It was a good chat. We sat in the kitchen with the oven door open for a meager bit of electric heat. I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on my list, and will share it with you hopefully tomorrow. 

In the meantime I am back with the flow. I want to connect with my class and present yet another way to embody creative balance while working our high-intensity sets, give them something to practice, another method of working mind-body together as we train. It has long been one of my standard talking points that when we succeed with connecting the mind with the body as we train, that one oft misunderstood, or under utilized, by-product of this wholesome activity is that, once in flow, the soul, our very spirit, appears from out of nowhere and announces that she would like to participate as well. Hello Ms Flow. 

And suddenly we see that this is the flow we have been looking for all these long and sometimes tedious sessions. This is it. Flow. Eureka. 

And as with keeping love, we have to practice it. Getting there, finding it. Relentlessly. With patience, gratitude and respect. Because once we have it we have to practice KEEPING it. And to practice keeping it means letting it go. You cannot force it. Try squeezing water and you’ll see what I mean. 

Focus, but practice with relaxation. You must try easier. Let it go and relax into the movement of the moment. Breathe. Acknowledge the presence of your spirit. Appreciate it. Welcome it. Flow so elegantly inspired that powerful new answers to your biggest questions appear like magic. BUT…

Always leave a small space empty for them to fill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment