Thursday, February 1, 2018

A Bigger Plate


I got some very good advice yesterday. While I cannot reveal the source, please consider and match it against your experience. I think the sources will then be revealed as the same.

To assess my situation of late as 'busy' might be an understatement of monumental proportions. Kinda the opposite of Trump's usual overestimation of, well, anything.

I was playing the workload out in my mind while driving from hospital to hardware store and then to The Barn, where am I going to fit all this in, and will the quality of each be affected to the negative as a result of the seeming overloaded plate? For me this internal cross-check usually ends with some type of a compromise based upon the relative value and priority rankings of the various entrees filling the aforementioned plate, along with the time-tested tactic of doing one thing at a time as best as possible before moving gleefully along to the next. This has always worked for me. Until RG (Dad) took another U-Turn, resulting in the need for 24/7 care.

Suddenly I find what every Mother of teen-agers already knows, that, while we can't call it multi-tasking because that isn't Zen-like, it is the only tactic that satisfies the requirements of getting all this shit done (since were being un-Zenish). Judge that as you will, but when that plate is full and another surprise asks you to step up, you do. You find room. You make it happen. People are depending on your power and ability. Often those people cannot fend for themselves. The young do but don't know and the aged know but can't do.

Leaving someone in the middle who can do both. Someone who cares enough to make it happen, no matter what. So accept it and get good at it.

The voice whispers to me softly and sweetly.

Get a bigger plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment