Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Talk About It

I talk a lot in spin class. It has been suggested that I talk too much. But as any final decision should be made using quality as the judge, I feel that the messages I deliver, the stories I tell and the instructions I provide are all appropriate and positive. It is simply my character, it is who I am and if I am to be judged guilty, so be it. Nolo contendre.

I think every instructor goes through the process of determining for his or her own self what works, the mixture of music and narration, the choreography, the flow, how it all comes together. Nowhere is it written that one cannot lead, as instructor, more by one's heart and soul than by the book. I am going to tell you what I think, how I think and why I think what I think as we roll through our cycling progressions. The down side is that often that accompanying work-out narrative includes comments on sordid issues du jour. That meaning, as you have most likely noticed, includes politics, religion, philosophy, history, pop culture and anything else I think might raise an eyebrow during our regular 'continual improvement' indoor cycling sessions. Why not?

If, as I believe, it is all connected, there is no reason to separate the mind from the body as we exercise primarily one or the other. Can we not we consider the wisdom of Dan Millman as we hold 300 watts of climbing out-of-saddle power? Can we not we listen to a Noam Chomsky podcast as we walk peacefully in the park? Can we not invite the third party of the holy triad, our very soul and the spirit of our being into the mix, thereby creating the most powerful harmony ever scored? Why not?

There is the argument that one must do one thing at a time and do that thing without distraction. I will counter that this 'one thing' is the whole thing. One cannot separate the mind from the body unless one is a fan of the guillotine. Attempting any chore without the involvement of your soul renders that activity utterly banal.

So sync up up folks. Use your body, stimulate your mind with the process and potential and add as much soul as you are currently capable (music helps a lot here). This, more than the instructor's manual, will promote success deeper and more lasting than a simple sweat session. It is where we find meaning, joy, inspiration and motivation. It keeps us going, moving in the right direction and constantly asking for more. We take the powerful lessons out into the real world in order to initiate the change we understand is necessary as a result of our deep and sincere practice, only possible when the Big Three are in magical and mystical alignment.

If everyone had this incredibly difficult trick 100% nailed, I wouldn't have to talk so much about it.

Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment