Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Black Beans

Black beans from scratch. After the wash, rinse and soak, I put a medium pot filled with them on the stove and set the temp for simmer, cover and walk away taking mental note of my use of the fire tool. We are old friends.

It WAS my theme for the ride (not beans). We were about to embark on another joyous romp through the virtual world of indoor cycling. I am the tour guide/squadron leader/drill instructor/head yell leader. While it has long been my self imposed mission to add a balance component to every session, sometimes I go to extremes to illustrate a point du jour.

My theme for this ride, yesterday, was the concept of awareness. Alluding to the tangential ideas of focus, non-distraction and allegiance to the primary directive, we go about the protocol of the day which of course is designed to add challenge, build confidence and connect mind to body and body to spirit. Spirit being proxy for soul. And soul being the target. Find the bull's eye of your soul. The body will respond as long as the mind allows participation. Once those two are aligned in a harmonious and flowing dance of relaxed focus, guess who knocks on the ballroom door wanting to join the celebration?

You got it Mr. Soul.

We can practice this in everything we do, not just when we are pushing 250 watts in a classic rock trance. I use the technique every day. My days are incredibly demanding (comparatively). I need to lock doors, feed dogs, administer medication, shop, work on video, screen-plays and scripts, assemble set lists, create class profiles, capture new media, manage schedules in real time, do the laundry, feed the cats (clean up the resulting barf from one), and prepare meals. The more astute among you will quickly discern that nowhere in this list of chores is found any labor resulting in financial compensation. This is all done by noon despite there being no bonus for speed. The daily practice is that of awareness.

I am aware that the dogs are fed and as I leave for next assignment, the doors are locked. I take notes like Beethoven wrote them. I am a firm believer in hyper-living in the moment. Right now. What am I doing, why, and can I do it any better, more efficient, or more joyous. Can I hum Ode to Joy right now?

After a full and satisfying day, including what I assessed to be a rather inspired ride, I get home, spent, weary and ready for a refreshment beverage. Phone rings, results from Dad's blood test. He needs to increase his anti-coagulant medication tonight. I have his meds. Back into truck, drive to Dad's and oversee the dose. Drive home.

Fuck. The beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment