Monday, February 26, 2018

There is Hope

'Tis far better to endure the suffering of fatigue, exhaustion and completion, than the pain of remorse that not-doing brings.

Should of, could of, would of. I should have rode. I could have been more prepared and I would have, had it not been for (pick all that apply), the weather, the rust on my chain, my sore left knee, the elevation gain, no energy gels, out of coffee, old gloves, favorite shorts in laundry, have to wash the truck, worse weather.

You get the idea. We will go to ridiculous lengths to concoct new and exciting excuses for not doing. Is this specific example I am using yesterday's Chilly Hilly bike ride to illustrate the syndrome known as 'excusitis'. I did not ride for several reasons (excuses) but I did go out and shoot some video of the ride.

Upon my return from the shoot, and the usual household routines; E-mail, start heaters, build coffee, download video, feed cats, I detected a vague internal melancholy. I felt 'off', something was festering in my gut and I needed to diagnose and remedy stat. I don't like holding those feelings, I want to explore and move towards reconciliation. But I knew this one was a two-headed monster. One has to do with Dad and his care. We are at the crossroads; to the right is status quo (doing the best we can with limited resources) and two is finding alternative care, up to and including long term. One of those I can 'fix' the other probably not. This condition bubbles in my gut like a smoking cauldron.

Because it is all on me. Sure I needed an off-day yesterday, but at least I captured some decent footage to use in this months 2x20 video. Let it go and work the plan. Move along.

I am reviewing the footage, shot atop one of our island's more notorious hills, an 11% grade known affectionately as Devils Dip. I am doing a one-man, two-camera shoot, holding the GoPro atop a telescoping hand-held pole in my left and pointing the zoomed Canon in my right. I grab about 30 minutes worth and call it a day as my fingers start to blue. The download/review/edit shows that I have magically capture some pretty decent stuff, despite the gray backdrop of the day and the gross number of vehicles on the course.

Including one shot of a young girl with a huge backpack (dry clothes is my guess) ripping up the hill, and hence into camera, while an obscene Toyota with a Thule rack frustratingly follows her way too close. I didn't stage this, it wasn't scripted, it was luck.

In the video I am calling it 'Everything you need to know about the future of our civilization is included in the following clip'. It sequence ends with:

There is Hope.

Have no regrets folks. Do, do and do again. And if you can't do, write, draw or film. Or coach, mentor or inspire others to do.

(I will isolate the clip and post soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment