Friday, March 27, 2020

The Queen of Hearts

87.

Prior to complete physical recovery, firmly in the grasp of the adaptation process, my subconscious hears the notes as if played in Carnegie Hall on a Steinway Grand Piano. It is my cell phone alarm set to the opening of Desperado. The game I have played for many years is to be up, out of bed and focused on the day’s initial task, that of making my bed, before the last resonating, pedal sustained note of the fifth measure, an awesome D at 30 Hz. It is 0430 and I should be out riding fence. 

TOM, in another tine-zone relayed information last night, three hours ago actually, that was the icing of the day’s otherwise bland chocolate and vanilla cake. They, as is their routine, had been monitoring and exchanging information, known as ‘chatter’ with the various international intelligence agencies. The volume, intensity and tone of which had been steadily increasing, leading the analysts to suggest that something, up to and including an attack, was imminent. Worse was what followed in that they had no other specific details — no what, where, when or how. This always means in pragmatic terms to ramp up, be prepared and stay at the ready. 

The day’s activities began in the physical readiness center, what we used to call the base gym. I might have been slightly projecting but I sensed a veil of weariness, like a cataract, hanging over the eyes of the team. My decision, based on the immediate circumstances of our intensive and the latest intel from TOM, was an easy one. Anyone who has had the slightest association with my methodology will know that given the option of getting down or resting up, ninety-nine times of a hundred I’ll choose the former. 

“It is crunch time folks,” I began with a throaty-clearing cough, “TOM relays that the bad guys are up to their old tricks again, with a strike of some sort classified as imminent.” 

Like magic the cataracts are gone. Now having their complete attention, I continue;

“I want to applaud your efforts and gumption to this point. You have kicked some serious butt, yet it now appears as if we need to double-time our response in final preparation for the assignment, a mission that remains cloudy and obscure even at this time. As a result we will make a few subtle changes to ensure our readiness, beginning now. The weight circuit will be skipped today and replaced by a high-intensity bike-run indoor duathlon. Followed immediately, you may shower, with a computer and communications brief in Main Conference Room B in ninety minutes. Lastly I want to add how proud I am to be a part of this team. We have yet to hit our stride, to feel what we are capable of becoming, BUT we have been on a trajectory of reaching that plateau of essential mission readiness since that first day in the pool — when Davis broke every rule in the book for the sake of accomplishing the team objective. That was an early running point, there have been many since, critical and key inflections all pointing in one powerful direction, towards the vector of victory. Let’s find that next gear, stay focused and ease into the dynamic flow state you all recognize as your true warrior selves.” 

“Treadmills for thirty, level five, stationary bikes for ten miles at four percent, you have one hour to complete both, douche, grab an energy gel and get to the conf room. Any questions?”

I raise my left arm in an immediately recognizable gesture of starting my chronometer. Like a high-noon duel, Davis, Calahan and Saunders turn to run on my first movement, leaving Drysdale, Bromden and Satriano waiting for the official start. 

I release the men with a ‘go’ and send Satriano a beat later, mimicking the rhythmic motif along with the christening of her new code name;

“The Queen of Hearts.” 

As I watch them all move to their stations, something inside reaffirms this to always be the best bet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment