Monday, March 23, 2020

GO

83.

One of the reasons why I like starting new things, now matter how contrived, repetitive or challenging is the reminder that miraculous things happen when we make firm commitments. As I walk towards the base aquatic center I could feel the surge of endorphins start to fine-tune my senses, a state I have always compared to the delightful energy while downing a double espresso an hour before sunrise. If there was ever a doubt about what the feeling of being full alive, present in the moment with a keen appreciation of the now and deep anticipation of what the future might bring, this is it. I could almost see the pure crystals of ice begin their cleanse as I inhaled diaphragmatically, holding each intake to the syncopation of my strides. There is magic in the power of the body — just as there is power in the magic of physical readiness. It is in moments like these that we glimpse the potential of our sacred duties. 

It’s not so much a “why question’ as in ‘why did this happen, why must we do this, or why is it always so difficult’ but a “what” questions, as in “what are we going to do about it, what is the proper response, and what could be the situation should we NOT adequately or appropriately respond.’ 

These thoughts are racing through my head like a track sprinter as I enter the facility, grab a towel from the attendant, change and open the huge double doors that guard the fifty meter pool. I am ten minutes early but Saunders and Drysdale already are putting on a clinic of slippery and graceful free-style technique. I stand on the deck in admiration of their efficient and ballet-like flip turns at the completion of each half-lap. I am greeted by those remaining on the deck, stretching, watching, rehearsing the movements and mimicking the motions that will soon propel them through the cool, clean chlorinated water. I look at the giant timer and see it is 0659. 

“Land those two pool sharks and let’s huddle up,” I announce. 

Calahan tosses two towels and the six encircle my position on the wet concrete deck. 

“You all know what I am going to say - but I need to say it anyway. This is not a drill. This is the real thing. There are bad guys out there, who at this very moment, are planning and plotting to inflict unimaginable carnage on the people we have been assigned to protect. Please accept the truth and reality in my words, there is no difference between what we do today in practice, the focus that we bring to our training, the strength that we build as a team and the actual deployment of those skills and abilities when in combat, virtual or hand-to-hand. They are the same. Every lap in the pool, mile on the track, round at the range, new computer hack or triage format might be the one single action that saves your life, or the life of your teammate or the lives of a hundred thousand civilians that we all swore an oath to protect. So let’s put in the effort, give the respect and build something above and beyond our most grandiose visions of what we are capable of becoming as a team.  Because that is what we do. We overachieve. We do the impossible. And we make it look easy. Like Drysdale and Saunders in the water.”

There is the typical  mixture of guffaws and grunts upon completion of my monologue as I announce the two-person teams that will comprise the buddy-system assignments from this point forward, for better or for worse, as is said.

Drysdale and Calahan.
Saunders and Bromden.
Davis and Satriano. 

The announcement prompts a series of fist bumps and a questioning look from Davis. 

Something I knew was coming. 

“Twenty laps - no fins - in twenty-five minutes.” I hold my watch to my face with animation of intent to begin. 

Go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment