Friday, March 13, 2020

Insidious Intentions

73.

As we level off at altitude I recheck my laundry list for Donaldson. Without much consideration it now includes eleven items broken down into two categories; Now and Next. I am considering the column where the ‘return gun (minus ammo), phone and wallet to Dale along with ten large’ should go when the big screen pops to life. Immediately I react to TOM’s digital visage thinking him to be in a cranky mood. Consistent with his modus operandi he gets right to the point, providing a concise, yet detailed, update. 

“Bakersfield is locked down, local agencies are maxed and the governor has requested National Guard to assist. We got you out just in time. No serious damage to the detention facility other than the warden’s demoed truck.” I have to subdue a snicker upon learning this. “Donaldson is cleaning up the mess you left behind, and I am now hearing about ten thousand dollars we owe to a, what, informant?”

“Yes sir, the guy saw a TV news flash offering a reward, ten times ours I might add, and decided to take us. Try to take us I should say. Fortunately we were able to disarm and then flip him using his felony priors and financial situation to our advantage. It was our only play.”  TOM is silent as he mulls the updated first-person narrative. Finally, he breaks the silence; “What about the girl?” 

“We were able to make the disguise and slip past security at the municipal airport, so that part worked to perfection.” I begin, “She is resting now waiting for us to finish our brief so the two of us can chat.” 

“Have you told her of the assignment and her role as yet?” TOM asks.

“Not yet, it has been a fairly chaotic day with not a lot of free time.” 

“I understand. Please advise her immediately of the precariousness and urgency of the operation and her part - her potential part - in it. Once you have a solid response, either way, let me know. And please relay to her that should she refuse our offer, we can no longer provide protection. ” 

I respond to him with ten-four, roger that enthusiasm designed to risk a final question, “Where are we headed?” 

“Get the girl on-board and then we’ll decide. In the meantime you are heading due east as the ground situation fades from the news cycle, something I am sure the Axis is paying as much attention to as we are. Nice work Bogart, lets initiate Phase Two.”  

With this he terminates the transmission leaving me with a backdoor compliment and another ridiculously difficult assignment. 

Regardless of her external attributes, abilities and attitudes, how do you convince a person, an eighteen year old computer geek with a Martial Arts black belt, that she should put her life on the line and go undercover to infiltrate a cabal of criminals plotting terror with insidious intentions? 

I remember that this was my idea in the first place and unbuckle my seat belt to make my way to Maria. Along the way we encounter some mild turbulence which perfectly sets the stage for the terse conversation to follow. I see that she is awake, staring blankly ahead, perhaps considering what has already taken place and what tests the near future might bring. 

“How ya doin?” I ask. 

“Hungry.” 

“Come on back, we’ll order….and have a little talk.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment