Monday, December 2, 2019

Long Live the King


Just when you think it’s safe to go outside. 

I was feeling good after our morning weight lifting and spin session, confident that I had the direction and outline of the new video formulated, and looking to enjoy an afternoon of production and creativity, when…..

I get an announcement that our football coach, Chris Petersen, one of the biggest names in college athletics and the juggernaut of our return to the national spotlight, fresh off his seventh consecutive Apple Cup victory, has resigned. WHA?????????? Say it ain’t so.

Talk about a great way to ruin a day. Lose your mentor, motivator, captain and confidant. As I process my immediate reaction to this monumental turn of events I just had an interesting thought. I wonder if this decision was made a while ago. Like at the start of the season when our collective team swagger took a decisive nose dive and the players appeared to be going through the motions of playing big-time college football instead of embodying every positive characteristics known only by champions and the best of the best. Could this have had something to do with it, I wonder. A replacement has already been named, co-DC Jimmy Lake, so I have confidence that the highly rated 2020 recruiting class will not look elsewhere as a result to the change of personnel. Still, this stings as much as the morning that I learned about Don James' resignation as a response to the Pac10 sanctions placed on his team in 1993. As if there isn’t enough standard operating suffering involved already! 

So there is that. I am sad. And a little perplexed. And busy.

Off to the new video open we go. Nothing like a bit of change as a reminder to keep rooted in the present. 

The King is dead, long live the King.


No comments:

Post a Comment