Sunday, December 15, 2019

2:40 with Q



We have scheduled Once Upon A Time in Hollywood as our Sunday movie ride in the PB this morning. Tarantino’s masterwork, in my humble opinion, Inglorious Basterds, is a barn staple that we enjoy every winter. It seems that Q’s epic storytelling usually means at least two hours of long, steady saddle work, with today’s fare clocking in at 2:40. The beauty of this, natch, lies in the value of endurance rides in December, when outdoor variables can be harsh, and possibly dangerous. Dark, wet, cold and surrounded by BMWs, Benzs, Teslas and Subaru Outbacks, does not make for an enjoyable ride. Our solution is to take it indoors, gaining all the benefit without the risks. Some will argue that this approach is somehow of lessor quality than toughing it out and braving the elements. Or that it builds character, ruggedness and other manly traits. My answer, as diplomatic as I can orate, is…..have at it. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy the ride. Seriously I have zero desire to up my T-levels doing something with frozen toes and distracted holiday shoppers in SUVs a foot from my flank. 

Last night I visited the new facility of a local pro cyclist who has opened a training center less than two miles from our own. There was as good crowd, a BBQ, live demonstrations and white wine. Kids toasted marshmallows above the roaring fire in the pit. I saw many old friends, our communities cast of usual suspects, and enjoyed my short stay. The irony of this was not lost on several of the attendees, whom we know as PBers. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, especially as the pro cyclist, now facing the reality of staffing the facility while he and his fellow female pro partner spend a good deal of their time on the road racing. Who will mind the store when they are a continent away? I was invited to do so. With all the humility I could muster I replied to the affirmative, saying that depending on the schedule I am sure I could squeeze in a coupe of sessions per week. So we’ll see. At the very least I was honored to have had the invitation. 

I was asked several times my opinion on this event and all that it translates to. I stated to them as I will now to you, that I think it is great. Creating wholesome community-based exercise opportunities, especially those that cater to kids, is a wonderful thing. I am proud to be even slightly associated with the organizers. That the facility is in direct competition with my own is of no concern to me. If, at the hand of my competitors success, I am forced to close my shop, so be it. We have been doing our thing for almost six years, offering interested and dedicated locals the option of riding indoors to keep fit, get stronger, burn calories and mix it up socially with like-minded island neighbors. It has been a wild ride and I am overjoyed to have had such a good, positive, successful and enjoyable run at it. I would add profitable but that was never a goal or concern. Ever. 

This is like, I quipped with one of the guys last night, as if I had been operating a quarterback camp in downtown Seattle for five years, and then Russell Wilson opens one right across the street. Would that be a form of flattery or enemy action? Do I fold the tent and pack up the circus? Or do I adhere to the principle that theorizes competition making both sides better? 

It may have been easier in 1969 in Hollywood, but I doubt it. I will ponder this over the 2:40 running time of this morning’s cinematic accompaniment and let ya know. 

By the way, I was living in Los Angeles in 1969 and know the vibe, the players and the events. From my formative years of 1-8 we lived next door to one of Charlie’s gang members who was later bused for trafficking in stolen motorcycles and turned state’s evidence that sent CM up the river. 



No comments:

Post a Comment