Monday, May 20, 2019

The Power of Beauty



The Power of Beauty. 

The guest lecturer had used this as an introduction to one of his incredible nature collages. We are at Benaroya Hall in Seattle to hear him show us and tell us all that goes into his art. He is the creator, and as far as I know, the sole purveyor, of a photographic genera called ‘Day to Night’. In this excruciatingly detailed and difficult medium, he shoots with a 4x5 camera behind very expensive and capable glass. Glass being the inside slang for the lens of a camera. His name is Stephen Wilkes and I was very impressed with his work, as it is nothing short of magical. 

To provide a brand textural overview of his art is taking the real chance of missing the point because, by his own admission, the sum always has the potential to be greater than its parts. I’ll try anyway and take the risk. First and foremost he, due to the staggering success of his work, receives financial compensation, sponsorship and grants from literally a who’s who of art world heavyweights, National Geographic today’s sponsor among them. Imagine having a job description that contains the understanding that money is not an issue. That is this. He selects the most scenic, noteworthy, famous and photogenic spots on the planet as subjects. He and his team then scout out the optimal location to set up for the shoot. They then build super heavy duty scaffolding to house the gear with the primary objective of keeping it shake proof. Having shot video for twenty years I can tell you that vibration, unwanted camera movement or anything more thermally violent than a butterfly flutter, will absolutely ruin even the best of shots. Stephan then sets up shop to shoot, from a fixed angle, an hour before to an hour after the arc of the sun. Sunrise to sunset, or day to night. This labor of love sometimes requiring a 24-36 hour commitment.

In post he and his assistants laboriously fit the individual shots, sometimes numbering into the thousands, into one seamlessly flowing portrait.  

A quick visit to his site will quickly show the majesty of this painstaking approach. I tried to find an on-line price for one of his prints but was politely asked to call the gallery. Which I of course took to mean that if I had to ask I am not in his target demographic. 

I can still be inspired by his work even if I cannot afford it right? I could allow the ‘motivation to imitate’ envelope me in the web of creation? I might even find the energy to disciple myself to learn the skills necessary to produce such outstanding examples of the wonders of nature. THAT would be a fine response in addressing my own definition of the power in beauty. 

It is with this backdrop, squarely in the afterglow of my magical exposure to this fine art, that I considered how I might use his vision for our immediate benefit. 

Let yourself be amazed. Find your potential. Commit to your commitments. Persist. Stay strong. Find the vibration that satisfies your soul. Develop your discipline. Do something small every day - one day at a time and one frame at a time. Stay humble. Take ownership of the entire process and do what must be done. It is quite possible that when you master these traits the relevance will make sense and the truth will shine forth.

THAT is the beauty of power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment