Sunday, May 5, 2019

As if on Cue



A series of connected events. Or, as they say, what others do is their karma, how I respond is mine. Another way to add perspective is to consider a meme a gifted young teammate once offered: The only luck in baseball is bad luck. Have you ever stopped dead in your tracks and asked heavenward: WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN? 

I have. Many times. Until I was given, or earned, a response that satisfied my soul. The response was this: IT MEANS WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO MEAN. 

Upon my initial realization to the veracity of the message delivered by lightening bolt (no return address) I was at first disappointed. How could I, humble and unworthy me, be given so much responsibility? Well, then, my flippant alter-ego surmised, we’ll just do whatever we want to do and the hell with what anyone else thinks about it. It was less than two steps along that beach of inspiration that my response, although a knee-jerk reaction not intended for everyday use, was validated by the screech of a passing seagull. She was saying to me, dude, don’t over-think it, be happy and be free and catch the next thermal towards your dream. 

The dream remains. Only the circumstances and my response to them changes. Everything is connected by a series of dots, fiber optics and atoms moving faster than we can follow with the unassisted eye. Such things have been proven. It should come as no surprise then that those dots, fibers and atomic particles have once again aligned in such a miraculous way that they have extended to my very door. Without a Rand McNally or GPS device they have forged an alliance with all other particle matter to find me. Perhaps the tactic required that I be ready and willing for this to take place, was the conduit completing the circuitry. They say that love is like that too. And, since we seem to be on the ‘quotable path’ today, one of my favorites fits, ‘when the student is ready the teacher will appear.’ 

I should have been more angry, or more irritated when the wonderful folks technically known as my ‘landlords’ but in truth very dear friends and clients, informed me that the rental cottage, built in 1905, I have called home for three years, has officially been scheduled for demolition on August first. Fact is they told me that was the probability back as far as when the initial agreement was being solidified. We have been kidding abut it ever since, the inside joke of extending the building permit another six months, and then another six, and then…..Until the city finally said we must use it or lose it. A court case is settled freeing up building funds, they decide to act, city says act soon, and almost overnight I am facing the reality of returning to nomadic independence. 

But the dots, fibers and atoms (DFA) have way too many skins in the game to simply turn around and find alternative entertainment. They are, after all, here for a purpose. Whatever purpose I dictate. 

And I ask myself as I walk along the front-yard beach I have enjoyed for so long what the heck all THIS means. 

And seagull answers as if on cue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment