Wednesday, January 23, 2019

We're All Guilty



I admit my guilt up front. Or maybe I’ll plead nolo contendere, and add an explanation to the crime. Either way I think the situation is worthy of additional examination. So open the gates we’re about to head down the track at a high rate of speed. 

Most likely you have heard it a thousand times, I went so far as to ask in class this morning if anyone has ever head me say it in the past, producing a few winks, several nods, one harrumph and a stifled laugh. Yes, we have head it before, lots. The ‘it’ in question is the always appropriate, altruistic and absolute, ’Keep your focus here and your commitment on now.’  How the heck can you go wrong with such a noble and worthy mantra to guide you? In anything? 

Well, come to find out that you can. It was brought to my attention that there exists a rather interesting sub-textual detail that is often overlooked as we assume mastery of this seemingly rudimentary skill. Consider: What we have been led to believe is only the half of it. For as we dig deeper into the nuance we find the rest of the iceberg chilling well below the waterline. We have become victims of our own success. Yes, I practice being in the here and now on a daily basis. OH REALLY?

What we call being present in the 21st century now has a qualifier, an adjective of dubious meaning and devious intent. The modifier is ‘distracted’. 

The distracted present. Let’s please take a quick brutally honest assessment of our understanding of being in the present moment. In this example I am cheerfully spinning along in class, breathing deeply, searching for balance, in a relaxed state of blissful flow. I am able to combine this intrinsic peace and power with the extrinsic reality of being in a small room with other sweaty people, with insufficient air movement, music I first heard when in junior high and an instructor who would be happier still asleep. The holistic result of all this, as much as I rail against it, is a distracted state of the present moment. Even in ideal conditions I still allow my mind to wander, putting the work load, this exercise, my right now, on cruise control as I consider one or more of the following immensely important items:

How much longer we have to do this.
What I will eat afterwords.
That nagging issue with the bank.
My neighbor’s dog.
My neighbor’s wife.
Our idiot president.
Our complicit Senate.
My lower back.
My 401K.
The Seahawks.
When the rain will end. 
The front brakes on my truck. 
Strawberry rhubarb pie. 

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

What we have called being present, all these many years is actually nothing but lip service. We have obtained the skill of being present AND distracted and have decided to call it by its positive name as opposed to its flip-side shadowy negative. ‘Well I AM here so that must count for something’, I hear your plead, and it does, it gives you the opportunity to practice. To practice being BOTH. 

Next time you feel the importance of being present (now?), watch your response and how long it takes for your thoughts to start to wander in search of greener imaginary pastures. Then commit to the two-step process of being aware of the drift and reeling your focus back in to the present. 

The distracted present. We all suffer. It is pandemic. 

It is also something we can improve, so please give yourself some encouragement as we progress, for the simple fact is, we are all guilty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment