Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Escapees From Hell


My fully-loaded Raleigh MT400 on the '93 trip
Fear and doubt are escapees from Hell. I think I can safely say that without breaking too many long-standing and cherished style rules. Not that I care, but I am making a concentrated effort to add more fact and less fiction to each session. This holds true in other areas as well. Allow me to attempt an explanation.

Facing the fact that the 2019 Epic Ride has now officially moved from concept to reality, I was transitioning from reading to sleeping last night as my review of the day played out in BREAKING NEWS fashion. My reaction was interesting as suddenly I go from the generator of ideas to the producer of events. Riding 1,600 miles in 21 days is no small task I hear the overly caffeinated anchor say with the appropriate mix of intrigue and invitation. Sure, Grand Tour professional cyclists do this at top speed over mountain passes and through all manner of weather conditions, but these are recreational riders most of whom already collect social security.

My second reaction is the very common, ‘What have I got myself into?’

Am I fearful that I cannot complete the route? No. Do I have doubts about the accomplishment? No.

What then?

The scene shifts from the TV newsroom to ‘live’ action in the PowerBarn, where a small group has gathered to ride bicycles indoors as the rain, wind and darkness hammer the Northwest with a gusto bordering on cruel. They are clinging to the hope that the sun will shine in their backyard one day and that when that day comes they will be healthy, fit and ready to ride.

One of the riders inquires about the 2019 Epic Ride. He is interested but cannot commit to the three weeks because of work and family responsibilities. Instead he asks about the ‘Stages’ idea, that of the route divided into roughly, three stages, each of approximately 550 miles and lasting a week each. THAT I can do, he announces. Almost on call his power output increases by ten watts.

He asks about the route, Stage One, and I give some a very general overview with little detail.

I feel like an opportunity was lost as my pitch was rather flat and without nearly enough detail, an issue that I jot in the notebook of my consciousness as ‘Detail every leg.’

That assignment starts today, now. To continue the metaphor, the devil is in the details.

The closing call to action states that I will act without fear and minus any doubt that this will be a joyous and adventurous romp through the magical and mystic road of life. Keep the juices flowing.

Most importantly, however, might be the fact that I am not afraid to fail, as that would only mean I go solo. And then I would get the chance to chase those escapees all the way down the coast at a speed, unburdened by leadership, that would be up to my choosing.

And one cannot fail when chasing freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment