Thursday, January 3, 2019

Planning Has Begun



Oregon Zen rocks
I am truly scratching my head on this one. I would like to continue to make daily posts on whatever the heck is swirling around my ’sphere of reception’ (taking the risk of sounding like a lost boy-scout with TV antennas sprouting from his protective headgear.) However, I am now, officially committed to the eCOW, the pending epic CAL-OR-WA bicycle adventure. My experience suggests to me that up-front logistical planning will ultimately determine the success of the trip. Meaning, of course, that my planning due diligence needs to start yesterday. Can I do both? Will one necessarily have to suffer from attention to the other? Should I build a website or continue down the Blog/Social Media/Video path? Today those head scratches need to end this annoying itch. 

First item on the list is to select the date. We are talking about three weeks. From our little island in Puget Sound (Bainbridge) to somewhere between Santa Monica and Long Beach, maybe Balboa Island to complete the island to island theme, or Catalina. Mileage will be approximately 1,600, making the daily average 76 miles. There are two or three possibilities to double up to get in a century, adding both intrigue and reducing overall days on road, but that will be decided upon once we get to the daily ride specifics. Support is crucial. Known as SAG, support and gear. it is the one area outside of bad weather, that will make or break a trip. I have been offering a trade on Craigs List, my RV for a suitable van, truck or SUV for this purpose and always have the Ranger, which with an added canopy could act as support vehicle in a pinch, so I am not overly concerned about that part. I can, and will, lead the support team if I cannot find a suitable and fun loving volunteer. 

The way I see daily execution assuming I become the SAG master (and guide and videographer), would be something like this: Prepare bikes, gear and daily maps and directions before start of each day. Prepare light breakfast, called Continental in many places, and get the day’s ride started. Support, film and advance that evening's accommodations and then, this is the fun part: Drive to the daily destination, check in, hop on my bike and ride BACK to meet the group, riding with them with advance intel, to the destination, an out and back ride that could, if planned with precision, give me similar mileage to the rest of the group. Check in, camp, check gear, eat, sleep and repeat for 21 days down the West Coast. 

On my two prior coast trips, both South to North, camping on the beach, proved to be a phenomenal way to experience the beauty of the coast, get in some serious riding and meet a host of other riders, locals and adventurers. My kind of folks. 

With that as outline, it is my chore to put the myriad pieces together for a workable, enjoyable, safe and successful epic cycling adventure. The 2019 eCOW. 

Planning has begun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment