Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Singin All the Time

Finding the right combination is a big part of the process. While there exists countless axioms on the proper ratio of just about anything, we like to zero in on a precious few. Like a perfectly balanced wheel spinning round a greased axle, we try to find harmony, pace and fulfillment in the continual improvement of our minds, our bodies and our spirits. Really, what else is there?

The combination, the sequence, the percentages of time spent to quality of return, is the challenge. We have all at one time or another been out of balance, spiraling out of control and hurtling towards disaster. Consider that time when you needed to step up and work overtime, or when a relationship needed serious attention. Or when you were hurt, sick or suffering. And how about those times when nothing seemed to make sense, the decisions of others was making your life a living hell. What did you do to correct the imbalance?

In class this morning I included one of my favorite feel good songs, Jackson Brown’s beautiful, Walking Slow. Included are the lyrics I always love to sing along with ‘Don’t know why I’m happy I got no reason to feel this good.’ Always gets me in the jaw. Because it makes me smile.

Driving home I am thinking about the combination, what has been brought to my door today, what have I created, what precise mixture of physicality, focus and feel has produced this current state of bliss of which I am aware of my enjoyment of?

Was it my usual Wednesday morning routine of lifting with Junior, the energy exchange with my 0845 spin class, the afterglow of the Democrats flipping the house, my morning fast, our some mysterious combination of all of the above? Whatever it was I want to bottle it and save some for later because this is a rocking state of the state and I like it a lot.

They, the smart guys in the white lab coats, like to say that training is testing and testing is training and that what is the perfect elixir for one might be poison for another. No two people, even if twins, are exactly the same. We all require a completely unique mixture of presence, strength and flow, as certainly as we all operate optimally with our own blend of fat, protein and carbohydrate. I do better with more. Until more is less. And then less is more. More-less.

Bottom line is to experiment. Try to find the combination that suits your personal needs, not the needs of your neighbor, or teacher, or transmission mechanic. Pay attention to the subtleties of change and gauge their impact. Add a dash of attitude and a pinch of appreciation. See what you can mix up.

And then share your positive results with others looking and wondering why you’re singing all the time.

Walking slow down the avenue
Through my old neighborhood
Don't know why I'm happy
I've got no reason to feel this good
Maybe it's because I'm all alone
And I've got no place to go
And everywhere I look I see
Another person I'll never know


No comments:

Post a Comment