Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Grateful for 54



As we ramp into Thanksgiving, I will again have the opportunity to make the attempt at inspiration through studio cycling. I take this seriously. Sure, there is the choice to succumb to the chic, contemporary, mindless aerobic sweat-fests favored by a younger demographic fond of whiny female vocalists and monochromatic synthesized pulsating beats, but I have always preferred a more organic, focused and demanding session with the singular goal of continual improvement (in 4/4 time). Forgive me if I fail to embrace the modern distraction. 

I might be wrong. Maybe the need for distraction is exactly the escape desired in these trying times. I would, after all, do just about anything to avoid the latest media take on the wanna be dictator in chief's deceit and corruption, so sitting, spinning, allowing the music and lights to foster distance between here and now, might actually be a good thing. Better to sweat than swear, eh? 

But that is not my shtick as an instructor. I get it. But no. No thank you. No thank you very much. The big box clubs can have it. Good luck. It is like I am cruising in my ’54 Chevy listening to the Dead, actively engaged in magical present moment bliss, when I get passed on the right by a Escalade full of hot young chicks screaming Pink tunes. 

Perhaps too defensively, I don’t consider this to be resistance. I have done it. Been there. I still go to the occasional club to sample new equipment, software, displays, and techniques, even pinching a tune from my last mega-club visit. (Granted it was Peace Frog by the Doors, released in 1970, but you get the idea). 

This historical opening statement I use as backdrop to the current challenge of Thanksgiving week. We will have a full house, including many families with kids home from college, for our traditional early morning session. This always provides a rare opportunity to both entertain, motivate and inspire. It is marketing 101 as I face the test of converting the folks, some of them still not able to legally vote or drink, who are still sitting on the indoor cycling fence. Or even the general exercise wall adjacent to that fence. 

Secondly is the general theme. I am also big on gratitude. I personally consider it, along side its brother, forgiveness, to be the siblings most important to a healthy and productive family. Somewhere at the start of our session I will ask for all participants to call to mind ONE THING they are truly thankful for. I also tell them that I will not ask for a verbal response, this is theirs, solemn and private. Upon completion of our set I will ask for a review of that ONE THING and in sixty seconds of group reflection the rise of positive and affirming energy in the room rises so dramatically you can almost see the vibrations of gratitude shimmer skyward.

It is a powerful experience. I am honored to be able to facilitate its altruistic alchemy. We do this once a year, making my role as instructor critical if we are to emerge both turbo-charged, awake and ready to tackle the challenges of the days and weeks to come. To me this is the physical and spiritual equivalent of washing and waxing your truck. It is not work - it is devotion. 

This is why I do this. Not just for the lights and music and calories spent in response. There is so much more to always be thankful for. 

And for this I am deeply grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment