Sunday, January 14, 2018

Make Good Art

A sampling of the artists I am currently listening to.

When Seth Godin suggests that we need courage to stand up and present our art to the world, the nail is crashed to a pine wood floor. Gaiman says that our mission in life should always have making good art at the very apex of said list. Guillebeau is the Art of Non-Conformity ring leader, cracking an aggressive and adventurous whip to those with bravado and brains. And of course Jerry binds them all together with cosmic firepower and meaning.

My day yesterday in San Diego, for the funeral service of my best friend, lifted a hundred lost and buried emotions to the surface. I was a wreck, operating on little sleep and a return of this nasty virus. I had the opportunity to meet his wife and oldest son, as well as brother Bruce, whom I hadn't seen since 1965. The reception was littered with ex-ballplayers, coaches, scouts and front office guys. Almost, no, every, person who spoke of Robbie did so with the kind of praise usually reserved for saints. And rightfully so. He was one of a kind.

Through the tears and chocked-back emotions, on the flight home I tried to categorize and dig for deeper meaning, the things that I remembered being said of my friend. And I think the one that I liked most was when his son, sobbing at the rostrum in front of five hundred equally effected friends, said that his most cherished memory was the pride he took, and takes to this day, of this wonderful man being his father, how proud he was to be his son.

Flood gates open.

Make good art.

Love your brother.

Row Jimmy Row.

No comments:

Post a Comment