Sunday, January 7, 2018

Lucky Us


H.I.P.P.O. There are many threats to biodiversity today. The biggest ones can be remembered by using the acronym H.I.P.P.O.: Habitat Loss, Invasive Species, Pollution, Human Population, and Overharvesting.

I remain steadfast in my distaste for the current Administration and their propensity to downplay and discount science and its far reaching effects.

It was most likely 1967 or so, my freshman year in High School, that the topics of ecology, sustainability, recycling, overpopulation and the potential disasters that any one of them, let alone two or three in horrific harmony, could foil upon our tribe and our tiny blue planet.

I have been following this story ever since.

We have made tremendous technological advancements, but our ecology and, worse, political hegemony and deceit, has created a civilization on the verge of collapse. We are literally about to destroy our very home.

And you know why as much as I know why.

As we rode indoors for two hours this morning watching a cute heist caper, I kept thinking that because the plot, and its eventual resolution, was so stereotypical in its location, characters, culture and associated cliches, that the ending would have to solve, or at least settle a few of the, shall we say, loose ends. And it did. Logan Lucky is a high-speed chase-scene of redemption, with the much aligned and woeful, turning the tables on the establishment.

Listening to the The Meaning of Existence by Edward O. Wilson on tape driving home, I thought that maybe, with a little likewise Logan luck, we too, the 99% of humanity not greedily profiting from and abusing our fragile and wounded environment, might wins this one too.

I'll see if I can find the list Jimmy had taped to his fridge, the ten steps to rob a bank. This to see if we might ape some of his success in solving our own current dilemma.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment