Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Closure

This has affected me deeply. I am not finished with the suffering and anguish. My head tells me to man-up and get over it while my heart and soul say take your time and pay homage. This was an attempt to satisfy both in a note I sent to the family as requested in the service program. I hope one or the other will be satisfied. 


I met Robert Michael Picciolo in 1957. Seemingly on cue we started playing catch in the street on Collegio Dr. in Westchester, CA. By the time we were old enough to participate in Little League, 1960, we had both established the goal of playing Major League Baseball as our life's ambition.

After LL we went to different High Schools as well as different advanced leagues, he to Westchester and Babe Ruth to my St. Bernards and Pony/Colt. Although we didn't play against each other much it was always a source of pride for me to recall our roots. Similarly after HS Rob went to Santa Monica CC and I to inter-league rival LA Pierce, where we met on the field twice each year in 1971 and 72. He beat us one year with an extra-innings grand slam when it was so dark I couldn't see from short to home.

We would have crossed paths again had I not foolishly shunned a scholarship to Loyola as Rob entered Pepperdine.

Ten years passed and we met up again in 1982 when Rob was part of the American League Champion Milwaukee Brewers. I was living in Seattle and went to the first game of a four-game series waiting afterwards outside the Kingdome visiting team's exit.

I spotted him in jovial conversation with Paul Molitor and waited until I had an opening and walked up and said hi. You would have thought I was the President I was greeted so warmly.  We had dinner and I went to all the remaining games each one ending with a spirited get together and tales of the old days.

The same scenario unfolded when he was with the Angles and Pardres.

From those first days on the streets of LA to his retirement I have always wanted to do 'something' to reciprocate our friendship. I felt it was that important and that urgent. My respect and admiration for this wonderful person who inspired and shared with so many deserved whatever small gesture I could afford.

When my brother ran into him at a MLB sponsored clinic they exchanged phone numbers. I called on Sept. 1, with our conversation curtailed due to the demands that the marriage of your son will produce

Then I got the news.

I have nothing but positive memories of Robert Michael Picciolo. The stories are legion, everybody tells of his character, compassion and dignity. Every one is true. He was a fine man, an outstanding ballplayer and from what I witnessed at the service, a terrific husband and father as well.

How could he not be?

RIP RMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment