Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Spinning Strat

It is 0624. Me and Spike have just returned from our morning walk. It is a brisk but clear 37 degrees. The moon is a vivid crescent with Cancer prominent in the Southern sky. I ask Spike if he can identify that brightest star in the constellation. With his nose he points to a glowing, flashing light source as if to say, what is that one? I chuckle with the response, running lights from Boeing 737.

Our weekly 'ode to hoy' spin class is in an hour. Yesterday I crafted the set list, featuring new tunes from Steven Stills, Foo Fighters and Joe Bonamassa. I like the sound of a twangy Strat. We will execute the following set, itself a small slice of the rock n roll ethos.

  • 10 minute warm up
  • 15 seconds of twice body weight in watts (we call them double shots) seated
  • 45 seconds recovery at 7/120 (gear/cadence) seated
  • 1 minute seated @ 17
  • 2 minutes standing - no touch (17)
  • 1 minute seated GZSS (groove zone - sweet spot) seated

These five minute reps are reversed, seated - standing, as the gears (slope) is increased each rep, starting at 17 and finishing at 20.

If if feels appropriate, we might take an additional minute break at 7/120 midway.

The accompanying theme will be that of fatigue, with our new and improved definition being; That place in time where our desired, required or requested power cannot be maintained. Because it is truly at that very point where the biggest decision of the day is made. What do I do with this? Do I endure? Will I succumb? Do I dig deep? Do I relax and flow? Do I grind? Do I achieve? Might I fail? Or do I do my best, measure and manage, engage in the awareness of quality effort and allow the adaption process to unfold?

Can't wait to get started. Ciao.



No comments:

Post a Comment