Sunday, January 19, 2020

Still At It


19.

The sudden change of light from parking garage darkness to the unfiltered sunlight of the rooftop is dramatic. I consider the obvious solution but decide to wait till airborne. The chopper’s starboard side door is already open as I arrive, tossing in the pack, settling into my set and reaching for the headset. I glance at the pilot and see Julie smiling at me. 

“Long time Bogie. How are ya?” With syncopated fluidity she lifts the bird as my door seals closed. In the headset I can now hear the two-way conversation between pilot and ground control, the all-clear, wind direction, flight plan and estimated time of arrival. I wait until the exchange ends and look at her. Even with her helmet concealing most of her face, her eyes and smile have enough wattage to light a small stadium.

I raise my helmet mic with blatant symbolism and return her initial question. “Hello Jules, ready and willing. Seattle around ’94 wasn’t it?” 

“’93 but who’s counting?” As she speaks she scans her field of view and I do likewise. Unlimited visibility and following winds. She reaches up to make a small adjustment to the tail pitch and I notice her ring finger is bare. There is however a tan line suggesting that once there was a band but recently removed. She notices my notice. 

“Any intel on the situation?” I ask, shaking myself back to the urgent reality of the present tense. 

“Only that a Gulfstream is fueling and scrambling a crew.” 

“But I also got wind of Team Six in a mixer with civilians and that Cap and Saunders are in ER. That is all I know, sorry.” 

“That’s plenty, thanks.” I plead. 

“Oh, and one more thing.”

I look over at her with raised brows. 

“Davis has the con.” 

“Yes I know. TOM advised me to get to HQ pronto and to cram all the diplomacy I could fit in my pack.”

“Are you two still at it?”

I try a coy grin, not wanting to play the victim, but knowing that she had a major role in the back-story.

“When weren’t we?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment