Friday, January 17, 2020

Hill Repeats

17.

We are about to finish the last of our ten hill repeats. The nine have been a challenging mixture of intensity, elevation gain and endurance. The key focus of the drill is to build confidence in one’s ability to endure. I might have used a dozen variations of ‘relax your focus into the reality of the present moment’ theme. We stand at the bottom of the hill in frantic recovery, gulping air as a dog might lap water after a long dry spell. I can feel the effort my heart is making to keep adequate blood flow surging to stressed muscles and depleted organs. Its rate might be within a beat or two of max. No wonder they call these Hell repeats.

My watch vibrates indicating an inbound call. As I glance I see it is almost time to begin the final rep.

“Last one, I gotta call, so I owe ya one. Ready in 3..2..1..GO.”

There are several guffaws as I am accused of subterfuge, a cheap excuse to bail on the last effort. In response I put both hands up, palms facing outward in the signal that, although humorous, the accusations are blatantly false.

The group turns to attack the hill, all with fingers on chronometers to time their tenth lap. I return to my backpack, fish my water bottle and fumble for the phone. I enter the code and hear TOM say, “We have a situation.” Pause.

“There is a local bird waiting. It will take you to the airstrip where we will scramble Gulfstream 6. I will provide details and objectives once you are in the air.”

“Copy that sir.”

“Oh, and Bogart,”

“Yes sir?”

“Be advised that you will be assisting Davis on this mission. Please be sure to pack sufficient tact and additional diplomacy will you?”

“Yes sir, not a problem, plenty of room sir.”

“Get going, we’ll talk soon.”

I put the phone back in my pack and hear the sounds of the return portion of the tenth repeated out and back. They are cheering the group effort, proud and pleased. I walk towards them and make the announcement that I am awed at the group performance and how honored I am to be a part of this exceptional collection of individuals. There is a collective hurrah.

“But…I gotta go, and I am not sure when I will be back. In that interim Duke will assume responsibilities as my proxy. Keep your cover and continue your practice. I hope to be back soon. Good luck.”

The silence is as think as cold clover honey as I turn to go. Grabbing my backpack and running down the hill towards my rig, I detail the outline of my next few moves. Get to HQ fast, grab the road pack, get to rooftop and on the bird, forty-five minutes to the strip and...

…Davis?

No comments:

Post a Comment