Thursday, January 30, 2020

Break a Leg


30.

Satisfied that the driver, by telling the truth, is probably innocent, I move towards the two, asking if they were aware of a call to move a chair-bound patient from Community General less than an hour ago. They driver responds that he heard the call on the radio but since it didn’t involve them, he paid little attention. I take a deep breath and ask the local officers to run them through the data base. I ask for the name of their supervisor and tell Drysdale to cut the snaps. 

The check comes back with a “both clean” response. I walk to the driver and read him and his partner the confessional version of their Miranda rights, apologizing for the mistaken identity and excessive use of force, explaining in the process the urgency and importance of our actions. They seem to understand and although visibly shaken, not particularly stirred. 

We have two options. One is to retrace our steps and hunt for clues and two is to press the pair currently in our custody. Wanting to cover all the bases I use my cell to call the supervisor of the ambulance company. We can do that on the move as the retrace will move us closer to the safe house simultaneously. 

I get the super on the line and apologize again for the interruption of their service but explain the bigger picture issue of national security. He reluctantly accepts the premise and says there was only one other call from Community General in the specific time frame and that they have completed the move and are currently on their way back to base, nothing unusual, status quo and ten-eight. I thank him and ask that he keep me informed should anything change.

Drysdale looks at me asking with his eyes what is next. 

I open the com and ask Davis the status of the two perps. 

“As requested, they are icing in adjacent rooms, waiting for your instructions on how to proceed.” 

“Have we any ID or info from TOM on the computer files?” I ask.

“Very little so far, looks like both of them had some inside help in cleaning their records, not a thing, no priors, no convictions, not even any parking tickets. And no tax records, no history of employment, no medical records, nothing.” 

“Cartel, mercenaries or CIA,” I suggest, “Any tats or anything on possession we can use?”

“Nothing.” 

“OK, we crapped out with the ambulance, pick the weaker looking one and start a GCBC play. Take it easy, nothing that will show our hand. Name, rank, social security number. And remember the better you are as the bad cop the more productive my good cop might be.” 

“Interesting role reversal, we’ll get started immediately.” Davis affirms. 

“We are twenty minutes out. Try to wrap your questioning up just as we arrive, keep your com open. I want to know where you left off as we arrive.” I say.

“These two are our only leads?” Davis asks.

“There are. The grab of Saunders was a professional operation. We need to know if they are related. Fast.” 

“Copy that. I am ready to start.”

“Break a leg Davis.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment