Friday, November 8, 2019

I'm Still Talking

30 Minutes Over Oregon
Sometimes professionalism bests high intensity, as, conversely, there are times that super high energy can move us in ways that perfectionism never will. We take risks - and live with the resulting impact. In saying this, the debate moves into its next phase, the WHEN it is more appropriate or important to shoot for the moon when clearly a simple, elegant earthy orbit would just as easily accomplish the objective?

Honestly I don’t know. I would be unfairly tasked with researching the exact formula regarding this artistic dilemma, because there are so many variables. Look quickly at any still life watercolor, a piano sonata, a famous author’s minor work or a running back’s performance against a top-notch defense and you might get an idea of the infinite possibilities that exist whenever we decide to move our thoughts from upstairs to any tangible medium. Let’s take film as an example.

As you know last night I made a rare pilgrimage to Tacoma to enjoy an evening with a filmmaker who was hosting a screening of her latest work. What made this event so interesting is that the subject matter of her wonderful 48 minute documentary - is my story too! It is exactly the same story, one captured as a historical circumstance that took place in a small town almost 80 years ago. But that is where the similarities bifurcate.

My spin on it is completely different. Ah, diversity! My screenplay adaptation of the same events that took place in Brookings, Oregon on September 6, 1942 and evolved into an international opportunity to find common ground, forgiveness, understanding and catharsis following the brutal end of the second world war, is, to use a obvious metaphor, different as war and peace. It is an altogether different take. As would be any story told by different sides of any bloody conflict. This 'honor among soldiers' ethos allows the humanitarian post-war possibilities of justice, respect and progress to act as common objectives. Resulting in my feeling that this widely overlooked and under appreciated incident has the potential for a broader and deeper emotional payload than the initial incident. I might be saying here that the potential story is bigger than the actual one. I don’t know. But I do feel, and am committed, to taking a stab at finding out. This feels to me like it has Kennedy, Hoffa and MLK conspiracy intrigue already ghost-written in.

Which means of course that somebody (me?) must take the stick. Somebody willing to risk and step outside the objective fuselage and into the terrifying free-fall of the creative narrative. I am going to put words into the mouths of real people (mostly deceased) and establish time, place and motivation? How dare I.

I sincerely appreciate Ilana Sol’s artistry in creating a historically accurate and important work. It is entertaining and impeccably produced. It combines a relevant story, archival footage, pertinent interviews, colorful and informative animation and actual news footage of the events that unfolded over the course of the 50 years it dramatically defines. I know how much work went into her effort and I applaud standing.

I don’t think I could have done better. But that, obviously, is not the point. The point is that I can do different. I can listen to the voice and have faith that the story, although the same, will take another path in getting to the same destination.

The final lesson is that I need, especially today as the impact is fresh, to remind myself that I can talk about it all day, but she put it in the can and delivered.

And I’m still taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment