Tuesday, November 19, 2019

I Do


I guess the break is over. One project finished, in the can, and another about to begin. This is in an effort to put the premise of continual improvement into play, or, perhaps even more accurately, to use this as a debrief, a transcript of the process and a window into the future. Not unlike breaking down a race in order to improve on one or more areas in need of refinement. Example, in my last race, an Olympic distance triathlon, I had my usual poor swim, decent bike and less than stellar run. Despite this mediocre three-sport performance, I enjoyed the challenge of the day, racing in the summer sunshine an ended up with the top spot on the podium. Yay me!

Not. So. Fast.

I find it embarrassing to state post facto that my three combined efforts resulted in a win. This is not to diminish the courageous performances of the handful of competitors that comprised our age grouping, but rather to illustrate the danger that lies in any artificial celebration for my being the fastest among them. Because I cannot accept a victory knowing that I simply endured the distance longer than the competition. I wasn’t fast, strong or fluid. I simply maintained a pace that fit somewhere between speed and pain management. Not a great way to race. And certainly not the reason why I do. 

Which brings us back to the original premise, that of learning from the past.  A video project, a triathlon, or any other endeavor, can be, should be, examined as objectively as possible in order to isolate any weakness that could be improved upon. There is little difference between a sloppy transition, out-of-focus scene, achromatic use of the score, bad lighting, or confusing narration and woeful technical swim acumen, under inflated tires and insufficient leg strength necessary for a strong finish. 

Let us break it down. So we might prepare, practice, and perfect. 

RACING: Get back in the pool and run. I currently workout every day, in a rotation of indoor cycling and lifting. While this may get me back to the Olympic distance podium, it is unsatisfactory for my goal of getting back on the full ironman course, and indeed racing on the sacred tarmac of the world championships in Kailua-Kona. 

VIDEO: In a moment of post-wrap hubris, I mentioned last night as we snuck a sneak preview that I feel this to be my masterwork. It is the best of the perhaps the one hundred similar takes on the subject matter that has held my attention and interest for almost three decades. Is it perfect? Far from it. I have already done four revisions, trying to reduce the errors and add to the fluidity of the film. I am doing another as we speak. Here is the deal: I do these with a production budget about the same as the cost of a loaf of artisan bread. The only cost is that of my time. I give that freely and without reservation. I enjoy the process, the detail and the challenge. One might naturally say that there is really no reason to spend time worrying about quality with an investment so small. One could again easily say, who cares? 

The answer to both examples, my primary reason for giving this debrief and looking for ways to improve, is that I care. I do. 

And I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment