Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Second Verse


Continuing the trendy opening by cherry-picking rock lyrics (although we are not limited by the genera) we again shoot for the metaphorical stars.

‘Second verse, same as the first.” 

Seeking total transparency, I will reveal that the first and only time I played a Herman’s Hermits tune in spin class, the ebullient Ms. Brown You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter, actually penned by British actor Trevor Peacock, it wasn’t met with the response I was hoping for, and actually caused one of the gals up from to advise me never to play that song again. Ouch. You don’t appreciate bubbly-gum adolescent puppy love ditties with a definitive dose of cockney-speak? No? 

Anyway, the reason for the reference is not so much as a critique of the song, the era, the band or the author, but as a way to say that my condition, the illness, the virus, and its adjacent sore throat, headache, sinus infection and general malaise, is a repeat of yesterday. Although I do feel a little better physically. I did not sleep well, up all night with that persistent and irritating cough, and coupled with the runny nose that seemed destined to last till Hell freezes. 

I am actually a bit surprised that I feel OK, thinking that the condition would surely worsen as the virus spread and gained strength. But here we are, dealing with the reality of the second verse and anticipating the bridge towards the third, and then hopefully, the final chorus. Girls as fine as her are something rare, after all. 

Additionally, it this was a rock opera and taking a twist for the dramatic, I was, and remain, particularly pleased (borderline proud) of my completion of all the tasks on my to-do list yesterday. Sure, there were the obligatory moments where I second-guessed my motivation (finish what you start), tactics (perpetual motion) and technique (one step at a time) during the process, but each time a decision needed to be made (continue on or rest up?) I managed to find something somewhere to keep the ball rolling, the modern equivalent of Sysiphus and his infamous rock. By the time we finished our 2x20 set I was caught, cleaned, baked and devoured. Done for the day. 

Today is round two. A fairly light schedule that I will respond to by using it as a taper into Wednesday’s 0530 start and our ever challenging high-intensity spin set. I don’t know exactly at this point just how high my intensity will be, but I do know that it will be appropriate for the day, time and condition that I bring to the club with me in the morning. Maybe even better. Endorphins and the British Invasion can do that. 

“If she finds that I’ve been round to see her,
tell her that I’m well and feeling fine.”



No comments:

Post a Comment