Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Only Rule


The only rule is you must begin.

And once begun.

You had better finish.

Seems straightforward and clear. There is no mention of quality, of relevance, of topic or length. It need not be humorous, dramatic, thought provoking or a call to action. It can be anything. It can sort nonsense or it can search for meaning with full-on bravado and with the determination of a pileated woodpecker. It is a blank canvas asking for color. It is a slab of marble asking for shape. It is a guitar screaming to be played. It is a voice longing to be heard and a thought patiently waiting for expression. It is a mountain at sunrise asking ‘why not?’ 

Between the ‘rule’ and its requirement of taking the first step and the implied ‘goal’ or ‘destination’ of completion, the nuts and bolts, the brick and mortar of the project binds it together because its completion, the success, challenge and the practice means repetition EVERY DAY. 

Once begun, another step must be taken every day, for a year. Three-hundred and sixty-five steps taken ONE AT A TIME. One-a-day. (Incidentally, the half-way point is Monday at 0000). 

This is the secret to anything. I use this blog, this practice, to illustrate the formula. I do this every day. That is enough by itself. I do not need a thousand likes, five hundred comments, or commercial endorsements. I do this as a discipline, a routine, as therapy and for research. I also do it for fun, for continual education and to explore places where no commercial aircraft of supersonic transport apparatus can. Inside my head, in my heart and into my soul. To me, that sounds like something that should be done every day, like eating, moving and quiet meditation. The search for ways and means to continually improve that one thing that I can actually control. Me, my thoughts and their resulting actions. And I want to do better. 

With the clock ticking and time running out. 

This small tooth on the cog is one of many, but without it, everything else suffers. Without it unnecessary stress is placed upon the other teeth creating an inefficient, unbalanced, unreliable flow of energy. I have a responsibility to myself to relentlessly enhance my skills and base of knowledge in order to be the best I can, because not only does that keep me moving in the right direction as an individual, but it assists the team effort as well. We are fond of saying that by changing a part of the whole (the me) we chang the whole (the us.) And that is why we do this every day. Because it is urgent. It is who we are are who we wish to be. There should be no remaining doubt that if we desire to add value to a society in need of immediate help, the better our readiness - the better the results. Nobody goes to the local Library looking to refinance their home. No one hires a child to do the work of adults. The rosters of teams in the NFL seldom contain players that are faint of heart. 

Practice makes perfect, sometimes. A higher percentage of success comes from perfect practice. In our example today, that means practice every day. Pick your passion; sports, screenwriting, music, crossword puzzles, house paining, fine art, tap dancing, foreign language, triathlon, communications, theology, blogging, law, gardening, whatever your soul suggests is a worthy ally on your sacred journey. Because dear friends, this is that. 

It is deserving of a daily dose of focus, awareness and respect. The only rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment