Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Renew


Flipping through the folders in my red file cabinet this morning, looking for my Spinning certification, as insurance needs to be renewed, I found a one page document. I appeared to be a past handout from one of the many group fitness coordinators under whose supervision I have toiled. In making a real-time, on-the-fly assessment, it quickly became apparent that I might be able to use it as a self-assessment guideline and who knows, maybe even learn something. So here goes. My rating system (I will attempt total and deeply objective sincerity) is on the 1-5 scale of brutal honesty, 5 being absolute perfection and 1 being an area needing some work. This may hurt like a Super Eight.

  • Be a role model for all things spinning. 5
  • Find and teach my passion. 5 (are you detecting a trend?)
  • Be kind to yourself. 3 (so much for positive trending)
  • Explore new formats, ideas, theories and classes. 4.5 (halves can be important with details)
  • Remember to keep things simple. 4.5 (OMG, another trend)
  • Try new styles of music in my classes. 4
  • Nurture the new person in class. 4 (not sure nurture is the perfect verb here)
  • Keep your classes at the appropriate level. 5 (Hello Standard Disclaimer)
  • Give permission for modifications in your classes. 5 (see above)
  • Know what injuries you are dealing with in your classes. 4.5 (I will assume they mean the students)
  • Love the job and let it show. 5
  • Eat, sleep and play well. 4
  • Be on time, prepared and completely present. 5
  • Joyfully substitute for my colleagues. 5
  • Welcome everyone with a smile. 5
  • Keep my classes fresh. 4.5
  • Ensure that my classes are safe. 5 (haven’t lost anyone yet)
  • Keep my certifications current. 1 (the reason for the file cabinet)
  • Attend conferences and workshops to improve my skills. 4
  • Volunteer my time to a worthy cause. 4 (not sure how this one slipped in, but…)
  • Mentor a new instructor. 3 (not in a while)
  • Seek out a mentor. 3 (always looking)
  • Befriend and respect my fellow instructors. 3 (respect yes, befriend, depends)
  • Keep open to feedback. 4 (fire away)
  • Call people by name. 4
  • And, most importantly, I will never give up on my clients even if they have given up on themselves. 4 (if you give up I will most likely not see you anymore, sorry.)

26 questions. My average was 4. Hoping that on the bell curve it rings true.

Now to renew that certificate and policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment