Saturday, March 16, 2019

Start to Finish


Life unfolds. That is the image I take, and hold. There is something quite magical in it. It speaks to me in a way that is clear, harmonious and in line with my values and understandings. Sure there are the rare moments of illumination, fireworks bursting in air, insights suddenly revealed, lotteries won, but for most of us I think the idea that our lives unfold as knowledge, experience and compassion grows, on a regular trajectory over time, is the accepted ideology. At least the most prevalent one anyway. 

We then have the opportunity to assist the process in order to, forgive me, get there quicker. “There” being that non geographic yet specific place where freedom rings and happiness sings about the bounty that meaning and purpose bring. There are things I want to know. Things I want to do. Places and people I want to meet and greet. Just yesterday I lamented the frustrating reality that my Photoshop skills were insufficient to transpose an idea into an instantly recognizable, awe inspiring graphic. I wasted three hours trying to fit the square peg of the idea into the round hole of a totally inadequate (for this job) utility. Finally completely exasperated, frustrated and irritated, I closed the program without saving and went for a run. I could see it but I could not move it to another medium. Like hearing a song in your head but the piano keys are in conspiracy mode when you sit to play. I should know more by now. I should have complete mastery of the tools necessary to juxtapose any creative idea into:

A graphic, logo or illustration.
A song, score or recording.
An essay, production piece, sales pitch.
A video, commercial, spot, doc. 

Further down that creative stream, life unfolding at my behest, I SHOULD HAVE THE TIME, ENERGY, MOTIVATION AND INSPIRATION TO SEE IT THROUGH FROM INCEPTION TO COMPLETION. 

Is that asking too much? 

It isn’t. True, it is asking a lot, BUT…..In order to respect the integrity of MY PATH, of MY LIFE unfolding in its own time, and proper place, I need to be simultaneously both patient and in flow. Move with the energies that propel. Pick up the pace and attach a relaxed sense of urgency. Lean more. Be aware of the changes ballistically seeking their targets at frightening speeds all around me. 

Write it down. Color it. Take its picture. Draw an outline. Write an outline. Develop a theme. Move in the direction of the purest prism. Trust your inner artist. Shoot, edit, render. Develop more design. Design more magic. Use the plectrum. Augment the seventh. Diet AND exercise. 

Write the script.
Edit the dialogue. 
Score the action. 
Love your characters.
Invent a foil. 
Nail the chase scene.
Shoot the opening sequence.
Dream in color.
Throw the monkey wrench. 
Twist the plot until it’s dry. 
Grow your character.
Know the ending. 
Roll the credits.
Fade to black. 

Let your creation, like your life, unfold. 

To finish one must start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment