Saturday, March 9, 2019

In the Hunt



I am in the hunt. Looking for the perfect combination. Time, opportunity, money. 

I would like to think that armed with almost seven decades of experience, this should be easy. But it never is. Here is the game plan.

I would like to fill a gap in the cycling tour industry by offering a service to groups, clubs, teams or even the occasional pair of cyclists coming long distances to ride in the splendor of our backyard. The service, while not a novel concept, would be SAG, support and gear, for hire. I think this is a down cedar tree just waiting to be carved into a utilitarian and artistic totem. To the extent that I googled the heck out of it yesterday, the demand seems to be high and the supply low. It has a relatively small start up cost, and could be available immediately. Not to mention the fun, passion and adventure factors inherent in taking it to the tops of mountains, along wild and natural waterways and with the company of vibrant, enthusiastic and adventurous types of all ages, genders and nationalities. 

I have the skills and desire. I see the opportunity. I like the challenge. What I don’t have is the disposable capitol collecting rust or interest in an account somewhere offshore. Making it an adrenaline charged gamble when I could just as easily, and probably way more safely, keep what is accurately called my life savings, ready and available for the emergencies that are almost surely making their way towards my door as we speak. 

This is like putting all your money on red and trusting the creative and benevolent energies of the cosmos to assist with your luck. 

But you know as well as I that luck, while interesting, is not the primary element of success. It is effort, timing, enthusiasm, desire and flow. Oddly, perhaps, the same things we call upon for success in our training and racing, riding and running, walking and sleeping, focus and mindfulness. If I want this to happen with sincere desire, willing to sacrifice my precious comfort zone for its attainment and promise to enjoy the wild ride wherever it will take us, I cannot lose. That little ball will magically and miraculously settle into the scarlet slot. 

And all I have to do is start. Take step one. And then keep going. 

I found a vehicle yesterday that fills the bill. I would love a sixty thousand dollar Mercedes Sprinter but I will be going to test drive and negotiate with the dealer on Monday for a snazzy little 2012 Ford Transit. With low mileage and just four super efficient cylinders. And build it up from there. 

I am mocking up some wrap treatments with the goal of attaching a related corporate logo to the rig. Additionally, as we will be putting on 4K Pacific Coast miles in August, some type of ‘text to enter’ contest on the rear might be a big draw. A bike, vacation, iPhone? 

So here we go. Game on. I am in the hunt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment