Thursday, August 8, 2019

Data Six

Data Six. Cool name for a band, eh? Synth nerd outfit anyway. Whitey Ford (my 2010 Ford Transit Connect) and I, have been on the road for a day short of a week. And no, to answer the musical trivial question du jour, while we have been six days on the road, but we are NOT gonna make it home tonight. Unless of course we want to call home wherever we end up at sunset this evening.

This day began in a rest stop alongside Highway 101, just outside, one mile actually, North of  Brookings, Oregon. Harris State Park is an absolute gem. We set up the Canon atop a sea-stack around 7 and let 'er rip till the red-rubber ball had disappeared into the blue-gray waters of the Pacific. It was a spectacular show. Directly across 101 from the park is the rest area where authoritarian signage informed wayward nomadic pilgrims that they need to limit their stays to four hours (between ten and six). Unsure of how this was surveilled, I decided to test the system so we pulled anchor and battened hatches around ten.

Woke before dawn and headed directly across the iconic highway to the jam packed state park to shower before the camping masses had their morning coffee. An unlimited time hot water shower for $2.00 is something to write home about. The steaming water on my back and Dr. Bronners peppermint on my shoulders had me singing John Denver camp-fire songs (where soap replaces sunshine). This is such a great reward for road-weary adventurers. I don't really know what to compare it with. It is so simple, such a wholesome and organic experience that anything less than a metaphor of orgasmic fireworks or love at first sight are grossly inadequate. We do grow accustomed to the simple things when living normal lives. Out here, noting is normal other than what we bring to the reality. Out here, a hot shower is one small slice of heaven.

After yesterday's research and pilgrimage to the trail they call the Japanese Bomb Site (this being an integral part of my research), and the day ending video shoot of the Brookings sunset, the day ended on an ever better note as my niece (and some of her kids) are meeting with me for lunch today. I haven't seen her since her brother's wedding seven years ago and she has had twins, their second set, since. We are meeting a local pizza joint that she guarantees is kid friendly. I will file a report on this tomorrow. Wish me luck.

All for today. Right now it is back to research work, as I have sourced the names and numbers of the producer of a documentary and the author of a book on the subject matter that has brought me here.

In only six days.

No comments:

Post a Comment