Friday, July 20, 2018

Cowboy Up Alice



RD-1. Race Day mine one. It is tomorrow. At this very time in 24 hours I will be in the water. Hopefully swimming. I have some reservations based upon what has happened in the last few days leading up to this here and now. I will attempt a brief recapitulation.

As you know I am not a big fan of triathlon’s first leg. This is because I am a terrible swimmer. Further,  as it is something I do not especially enjoy, like most I choose other activities. So why then do I choose a sport that demands its execution? Good question. As either excuse, alibi or justification, I have always looked at the swim as a warm-up for the bike and run, tactically playing the ‘make it efficient, steady and smooth’ card to save precious resources for later in the event. I always thought that, like anything, I would get faster with age and experience. Has yet to happen. 

Tuesday I went down to the chilly waters of Puget Sound, pulled on my wetsuit and tepidly tested the temps and tide. Lasted three minutes. On Wednesday, as compensation, I went to the local pool. After the first of what was scheduled to be a 3x500 set, I went into AFib so suddenly and so completely, that I barely made it out of the water. It was a horrible rest of the day. 

This morning, as I sit and recount these experiences, and ponder how they will affect the 1500 metes that await, I consider:

This is stupid. You are a stubborn fool. This is supposed to be fun, not war. DO NOT START. 

This is a test of your manhood. You can do it. Stick with the game plan and get it done. Breathe deep, relax and cowboy up Alice. 

The water in Lake Chelan is way warmer than that of Puget Sound. I am out of AFib and will have a full day of rest while driving over this afternoon. I will take it easy. 

Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment