Monday, July 2, 2018

Chocolate gelato for 5K



We finished our run in the Seattle drizzle that felt more like February than July. Junior and I are prepping for our annual 4th of July fun run, a good-natured 5K that supports local Youth Services. This will be our fourth time running in what has now become something we work towards, sharing the camaraderie and challenge of the hilly three miles. I am not in run shape despite the many hours that I ride indoors each week, BUT, I will find a way to slug it out. Conversely, Junior fresh off his record setting 11.88 freshman school record in the 100, should kick my fanny up and down the course. We shall see.

We end our rainy run and sit in the kitchen of my brother, Juniors Dad. He is making eggs and I smell coffee brewing. We chat about the work underway to make their property and house more attractive for potential buyers, as the long anticipated divorce is now officially pending. A good thing. As if on cue I hear a voice from the TV and a chill rises in my spine like a rocket launch. I look over at the flat panel big screen to validate my concern. It is Fox News. 

‘What the heck are you watching Fox News for?’ I ask incredulously, softening the expletive.

‘I want to see what the other side is saying.’ 

‘Well, sorry, but that won’t fly anymore. The last time I asked you the same question you gave the same answer. You don’t need a weather report to tell if the sun is shining, so please turn this shit off.’ 

This has opened the flood gates and I continue to dominate the rap with examples of how the ‘news cycle’ is manipulated in an endless loop of right-wing propaganda and hate mongering, starting with the ass and ending at the head. 

‘It is the wrong side of every issue and the dark side of every story, where soft and bigoted minds are controlled by snake oil salesmen and con men for two reasons.’

‘Those being?’

‘First they want your vote, and to do that they create a consensus that the enemies are the media, people of color, immigrants, Democrats, Liberals, gays and women. From there it is pretty easy to achieve the second goal, your money.’ 

‘All that just by watching the news?’

‘Yes.’

Things heat up rapidly as the conversation continues, but I know the traits of the debaters well enough to offer points when well taken. 

I suggest several examples and cite this terrific article, by Slate staff writer Lili Loofbourrow, as answer to the how question that eventually rises. He is satisfied and as I turn to ask Junior his opinion, the channel moves from Faux to CNN. 

Pleased to have won such a small victory I change the subject back to running strategies for the Wednesday's race. But a dark memory haunts me on the ride home, something is in there, smoldering and wanting full ignition. It combusts and I laugh out loud. 

WATCHING FOX NEWS IS LIKE EATING DOG SHIT TRYING TO REMEMBER WHAT CHOCOLATE GELATO TASTES LIKE. 





No comments:

Post a Comment