Tuesday, April 24, 2018

East Creek and Beyond


For the few of you who follow the plight of our protagonist (as he moves through the mine field of life with grace and purpose - and other times stumbles and scrapes knees), you know from yesterday’s post that I take great inspiration from others that have braved a similar path. I listen closely to music hoping to find commonality in the melody to mood connection, hear the written word and close my eyes to better visualize reality. In a word, I am easily inspired by a ripe sentence, a virtuosic minor scale or a well executed chase scene. To keep from being totally driven by pop culture, I try to spend equal amounts of time among the trees, waterways and forests. For the same reasons. 

Yesterday when I spoke of the phraseology of Chuck Palahniuk alongside the life changing prose of Dan Millman, a follow on thought gave me a few moments of peace as I walked along the rocky shoreline that I share with gulls, ducks, Canadian Honkers, coyotes, seals and eagles. I can hear them right now as I sit in my makeshift office, spring allowing the French doors to remain open. CP in Doomed, uses a tool called geographical alliteration to illustrate the point of his central characters being rich, famous and well traveled. So I started doing the same, with the caveat that at least one of the three cities, towns, states or countries must have visited by your obedient servant. Let’s try.

  • Alabama, Argentina, Alps.
  • Bristol, Brewster, Birmingham.
  • Culver City, Calgary, Cleveland.
  • Dover, Denver, Donner Pass.
  • El Paso, Edinburgh, East Berlin.
  • Fargo, Florence, Finland.
  • Ghent, Gutenberg, Gunnison.
  • Hilo, Hanoi, Henderson.
  • Inglewood, Iceland, Idlewild.
  • Jamestown, Johannesburg, Jakarta.
  • Kenya, Kansas City, Kohl.
  • Latvia, Laos, Liberty Bell.
  • Memphis, Mogadishu, Mosul.
  • Normandy, Nice, National City.
  • Oslo, Organdy, Oman.
  • Panama, Puerto Rico, Peru.
  • Queensland, Quintana Roo, Queens,
  • Rutland, Romania, Rockville,
  • Sacramento, San Gimignano, Sorrento,
  • Tasmania, Toulouse, Tripoli,
  • Uganda, Union Gap, Upper Jay.
  • Virgin Islands, Victoria, Vernal.
  • Westchester, Winchester, Worcester.
  • Xai-Xai, Xi’an, Xalapa*
  • Yemen, Yelm, Yankton.
  • Zamboanga City, Zaragoza, Zagreb*


And I will leave you with this from Dr. Suess:

Be who you are and say what you feel,
those who mind don’t matter,
and those who matter don’t mind. 

* The X's and Z's are tough ones. 



No comments:

Post a Comment