Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Day in the Life


Ah yes, a list. Another one. In a long line of lists. Variations on a theme by list, with apologies to Franz. 

OK, I’ll admit I am a list junkie. Addicted to the ritual, and perhaps, as many from any generation will attest, regardless of the medium of use, that they are an effective way to arrange priorities in order to more efficiently manage the load, e.g. get shit done. 

Perhaps the thing I like most about my list love, is in checking them off after completion. Whether one chooses the check in left margin, as an editor might do, or the strike thru as OCD demands, the process of Identification, execution and completion is thoroughly satisfying. For a brief example of this process we need travel no further than A Day in the Life, the prototypical classic Beatles tune from 1967. 

Got up,
Got out of bed,
dragged a comb across my head. 
(and looking up I noticed I was late).

Identification: Time to get your lazy ass out of the rack and face the music.
Execution: Move feet from mattress to floor, stand. 
Completion: Try to make yourself presentable prior to facing the aforementioned music.
Result: Still too slow, but way to go none-the-less. 

Adding to the musical genus is the next six beats in the tune as, I believe John’s clunky and dirty guitar, angrily chunks da-da-da-da-da-da. Please take particular note of this musical accompaniment as it it a perfect metaphor for the physical act of checking the sequence and action off the list. Da-da. 

Today I am not tasked with authoring, recording and marketing a hit pop tune. (Although it is always on my back-burner unwritten subliminal list). All I have to do today (in list form, and having completed Paul’s lyrical instructions) is the following:

1) Write (almost done)
2) Do my taxes.
3) Create a jersey design for our Pro visit today.
4) Print jersey.
5) Deliver mower and lamp (repaired yesterday).
6) Create two set lists and protocols for tomorrow’s back-to-back classes.
7) Call my sister Kathy in DC (and compare notes).
8) Host the Pro workout at 2.
9) Clean and prep house I am sitting for owners return.
10) Hook up wireless keyboard to new iMac.
11) Test new FM antenna on old stereo.
12) Push current video project. 
13) Smell the roses, eat, rest, recover, give thanks.

Maybe with a little more focus, energy, gratitude and cosmic inspiration I could assemble all of that into a few rhyming couplets, add a five chord progression, shake down a melody with a major key chorus, set up some microphones and lay down a killer tune on the first take. 

Identify, execute, complete. A day in the life. Number One. 


No comments:

Post a Comment