Friday, April 6, 2018

Better Finish

Do one thing.

Do it well.

Do another.

Does this tried, true (and possibly tired) axiom resonate? Does it ring with perfect pitch? Is it altruistic?

Personally I can think of several situations where multi-tasking is more appropriate, or at the very least more productive, after all it would be a silly waste of good time to ‘just do the laundry’.

The reason I lead with this concept today is that I am in the eye of a new idea hurricane. I’ll spill the beans with the obligatory back-story historical filler.

Once upon a time, cera una volta in Italian, I stumbled upon and into a quaint little town in North Central Washington. I was on the Kerouacian road, broke, tired and hungry. I get tipped to a possible job opening and fly to the potential job site as fast as my thumb could flag a semi on I-90. It was an effort of which Sissy Hankshaw would appreciate. I show up to the apple orchard and the foreman does a visual up and down then starts the one question interview: Can you drive a tractor?

Fuck yeah, er, I mean, yes sir I surely can, sir.

I start the next morning at 0600. But before that he says, go see Ms. Crane in the packing shed and get set up with paperwork and housing. Housing? You mean I get a place to stay too?

So my journey, having started in LA months prior, has taken me to this wonderful and magical situation. In one day, I travel 300 miles to get a job and a roof over my head. Life is so much better than good.

I will always cherish the many memories of that time. Since then I have migrated up the valley, over the mountains and around the world.

I have tried to live the be here now philosophy, sometimes winning outright and other times getting kicked in the teeth and left for dead bleeding on the floor.

Do one thing.

Fast forward 43 years and I am suddenly drawn back to those sunny, care-free days. Yesterday I took a cursory cruise through the virtual real estate sites and found a couple of affordable lots. Not luxurious waterfront mansions, but your basic dirt. With some rocks and a few trees. No power, no water, no nothing.

Except an idea.

I can buy 20 acres, cash, and build a 100% self-sufficient, off the grid cabin on it for 18K.

That is not a typo. It can be done.

The how to book is on its way, thank you Amazon, and I’ll further explore the possibilities.

As I try to stay present in the moment and carry on. Still I see the empty cage where the bird once sang.

One thing.

Oh yes, and don’t forget that all this started with the idea of getting away somewhere quiet and peaceful where I can devote quality time to the screen play.

Do one thing. Do it well. Do another.

Perhaps the last line today should be from Dan Millman. Because somewhere along the rough and rocky road the need to heed his wisdom will manifest:

“Once begun, better finish.”

No comments:

Post a Comment