Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Next Step



The next step. Our next steps. Where do we go from here? Do we listen to our doubts and insecurities and stay in the fuzzy cosiness of our comfort zones, or take that powerful and awakening first step towards our dreams? 

Full disclosure: I am nervous. Maybe even a bit intimidated. Alright I am scared shitless. 

Because tomorrow, not only are we riding Mt. Baker, a 25 mile ramp averaging 3.2% with 4,100 feet of elevation gain, but it is DAY ONE of the 2018 Fall TDI. 

Here’s to hoping that you have deciphered the acronym and have come up with the correct response of TEN DAY INTENSIVE. 

I can handle the two-a-day workouts, I am very familiar with cutting calories and regulating portions and I have been off-sugar for a long time now, but what has me biting my nails is the no alcohol component. I will confess to you, again, that it has become my habitual go-to stress reducer. There aren’t too many things that I crave after the evening spin session than an ice cold IPA. My pathetic method of gaming the jones has been to reduce the alcohol by volume, ABV, to below 5% so that I can quaff between a pair and a quartet of the tasty little 12 oz buggers. Mostly this leads to satisfying the ‘downshift’ stress reduction requirement, but it also adds subliminal excuse validation to the ‘if it busts stress, and I have earned it, then surely a nice, salty, bag of chips can’t be THAT bad, right?’ If ever there was a oxymoron to be found it is here: An subliminal excuse validation? Please. 

That then is my fear. My fear is of failure. And what a POS I will feel like should I fail. 

Here, once again, for official review is the outline of the TDI. I am doing it solo so I might start the roll-out promotion with some data and personal experience. I will share everything with you. You being of course my mirror on the wall. I am you as you are me and we are all together. 

TDI mission statement: Intensive mind, body & spirit re-set. Goal of adding the good and subtracting the not-so-good. Eat well, train hard and manage stress healthfully. No beer, no bread, no dread. 

A daily sample: Early wake up, count breaths, lemon juice. No coffee. Stretch, lift. Lunch is salad and nuts. Water and fresh fruit are new staples. Afternoon walk on the beach and creative (yo), evening spin session, dinner is salad and small portion of fish. Meditate, easy yoga. Read. Rest, recover, repeat for ten days. The morning routines vary adding hikes, swims, work. I need to rebuild the carburetors on the old Shadow. Very zen. 

There you have it. TDI. I am not sure if I can do it alone. 

We shall see. Wish me luck. It is the next step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment