Thursday, September 6, 2018

Nail the Triad



All creating another reason why today I am really looking forward to my workouts. 

The stress, drama, consternation, bigotry, anger, violence, discourse and of course, the importance thereof, is the relentless background noise of my training sessions. There, I find peace. I can unwind and allow my body to carry me into the comfort zone of a clear and calm mind. When I do this, almost every time, I get a wink and a nod from that benevolent, superior being living inside my head, the driver, my captain, my spirit.

As hard as I try to express the magic and miracle of this harmonic syncopation, most often it falls on deaf ears, or, maybe just ears unable to hear its perfect pitch. I take full responsibility in my failure to adequately express the simplicity in this complex theorem however hard I try, and as many ways as I have tried. People seem unwilling to go that final spiritual step when we focus on the body. 

The first dot we connected, long ago, was the direct conduit between body and mind. It has a simple reminder that energy goes where focus flows and that the component of upper management (the mind) measuring and managing, correcting course, cheer leading and motivating labor (the body) to continual improvements, however slight, marks this spot as X. It screams DIG HERE. 

After years of consistent practice, gradually moving from the concept of ‘no pain - no gain’ to an advanced understanding of flow, gratitude and acceptance, we see that it is absolutely necessary to embrace the effort, at whatever level is appropriate. Then, and perhaps only then, can we see the pain, in the form of temporary suffering or momentary discomfort, as natural, real and important. 

Once we arrive at the gates of that heaven, mind and body in two-part harmony (I hear the fifth ala Art Garfunkel) we sense something missing. Most folks go entire lifetimes without ever exploring the realms of adding the third part to the beauty of the duet. The myths, dogma and power that the third part hold over us is by design. Ask any Catholic. It has long been an accepted adage that for the Pastor the scariest person in the parish is the Saint. And so it is with our attempts to separate church from state. So let us be clear at this important juncture, this is about your soul and your spirit and not about those attempting to control it. 

The closest I have found to capturing this important concept, for use in sports, in relationships, in government and in every aspect of life is Zen. Not to be confused with Buddhism, a religion, but the art of Zen as it pertains to a philosophical mantra and guide for living a full, complete, aware and present existence on this planet, here and now. 

Put THAT in your training tool kit and see what happens!!!!

Everything changes and changes for the better. Why?

Because it provides empirical meaning to working muscles, happy hearts and empathetic minds. You can never be truly complete as an athlete, father, senator or soldier without the three parts working in sequential harmony. You can be good, real good, you can win and win often, you can be successful and earn millions of dollars, but without the high lonesome harmony that only your spirit can sing, you will never know your true potential power and ultimately, never find your mission. 

How do we do this and how do we practice and perfect?

Would it be too simplistic to suggest that you whistle while you work? 

Yes, but it’s a start.

More tomorrow as we move to nail the triad. 






No comments:

Post a Comment