Sunday, September 30, 2018

Every Thirty Seconds



I first noticed him in the locker room of our club about a week ago. Early fifties, starting to grey, dad bod. But he had an attitude. Something that only hard earned success brings. We have exchanged brief pleasantries and that was that.

Until yesterday.

I am in front of my locker, slowly peeling off the layers of my workout kit and trying to control my atrial fibrillation that had started early in our session and remained for its entirety, when I notice that he has picked a locker a few feet from mine. 

I look at him, wondering if this is the guy that takes up two parking spaces for his beautiful black Porsche 911 Carrera and I mutter a ‘good morning, how ya doing’? 

Without hesitation he replies, ‘I am GREAT.’ 

Pause. 

‘Cool’, I say, and add with a good natured chuckle, 'how often do you update that?’

He looks at me with an honest-to-goodness smile and says,

‘Every thirty seconds.’

I have been thinking about that ever since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment