Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Dig In



I, like you, have a choice. 

I was going to bloviate in regard to the latest political controversy and re-state my position in case you missed it the first four thousand times, however it is becoming more and more obvious that this is exactly what they want me, and hence, us, to do. Fight among ourselves. Argue passionately over something as inherently ridiculous as shoes. As we bicker ever more emotionally, they (I will name them in a moment) are systematically dismantling the institution once known as America. 

Yesterday I posted an FB meme (of sorts). It read: Today’s scores: Phil Knight 99 and Paul Allen 0. Nike wins the day. 

Some backstory first. I have never been a fan of Nike. I wore their cool canvas high tops in the 70’s up until the day that I learned of their business and manufacturing practices. it did’t seem right to me that a pair of shoes that I paid $20 for, that netted the company $10, were cobbled together in a third world, impoverished and exploited country for a dollar. That did not sit well and I am happy with my resulting boycott of their products over the course of the last 43 years. That their CEO contributed heavily (to put it mildly) to the football success of his alma mater, a bitter arch-rival of my team (!) only added to the dedication of my avoidance of all things swoosh. 

More backstory. I live in Seattle. I saw Microsoft grow from the basement of Bill Gates’ Dad’s home, into and out of the University of Washington and onto the desks and laps of 80% of the worlds population. I suppose there is ample irony in the fact that the 20% that don’t are living in the countries that manufacture shoes, uniforms, caps, capes and other logged crap for those that do. Further, while never a MS fan, I do respect Mr Gates for his subsequent global philanthropy more than his former partner Mr Allen for his purchase of two professional sports teams.  

Are we connecting some dots here? 

Imagine my surprise and gall yesterday when announced that:

1) Nike is running a campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick with the tag: Believe in Something. Even if it means sacrificing everything. OUTSTANDING. Great job Nike. Way to go. Hurrah. 

2) Paul Allen donated $100,000 to the slimeball GOP to try to save the house. This is the same guy whose team decided that CP’s football skills warranted a one-day camp visit. CP’s interview for the backup QB job consisted of one question. Will you kneel for the anthem?

The people that are burning Nike’s today and forwarding memes of Pat Tillman are just one of the reasons why they (trumps dumps) are laughing at us again today. Because ignorance is easy to manipulate. 

We have a choice. Fight ourselves and allow this fascist, racist, corrupt administration to march forward, or dig in. 

Dig in and vote. 



No comments:

Post a Comment